Chapter Eleven

*Trigger warning, my dudes*
(A telling of sexual assault--Skip to the end if you only want a brief synopsis, or feel free to skip the chapter. It's simply a small part of an Eris arc.)

Eris

I didn't think he'd notice me, you know? He was handsome, popular, and well-liked by everyone in school. I was... me. I didn't really bother to have a crush on him until he started talking to me all the time. He'd wait for me after each of my classes, right outside the door, and walk me to my next.

He was one of those guys who know all the right things to say, regardless of whether he meant it or not.

I let my guard down, and that's my own fault. I just couldn't believe that someone like him wanted to be with someone like me.

"Oh, come on, Eris. You're gorgeous, funny, and—"

I'm not the most sociable person, and you know it, Mave.

When he asked me to be his girlfriend, I didn't even hesitate. I was so excited. He was my first boyfriend—isn't that crazy? I didn't have a boyfriend until I was sixteen. Never even had a real crush on someone until then.

According to my mother, I was too into books.

She wasn't wrong. Books are way better than reality.

Especially after some time with Tyler.

It got weird after only a couple weeks. This possessiveness took over him, and suddenly, I had to do everything he told me. I had to dress a certain way, say certain things, and always tell him where I was going.

If I did something he didn't like... he'd hurt me.

You know, I caught him smoking one time, and when he didn't like my reaction—I guess I showed disgust on my face—he'd take his cigarette and just...

Eris pushes her hair back over her shoulder and tugs on the collar of her shirt, pulling it down below her collarbone. Little burn marks are etched into her skin. I'd never seen these before—even when we were rooming together. She always changed in the bathroom. I'd always thought she was just modest and wanted her privacy.

So, it was my fault.

It's what I kept telling myself, at least.

I didn't want to lose him, not when I felt so lucky to at least be loved by someone. I know, I know. That wasn't love.

That's not what I thought at the time, though.

When we reached our senior year of high school, he told me to come to this back-to-school party with him. It ended up being at that abandoned warehouse near the South Gate of the kingdom. You know that one? The one with the hollowed out inside where they used to make clothes?

Yeah, that one.

There were so many kids from our high school there, but even some college kids showed up. There was a ton of drinking, and I saw some drug action... But I tried to keep to myself near the exit. Tyler was off doing who-knows-what.

I wanted to leave more than anything.

But my desperate self wanted Tyler to love me more. Inside, I was thinking, If I can get through this, Tyler won't ever bring me to one of these again because he'll finally love me enough not to.

What an idiot I was.

After the party, he brought along a few of his friends as we walked back to our homes.