Chapter 3 - Home Sweet Home?

It was around 10pm when Allison told me to park in front of a small white house. I turned off the car and pulled my bag over my shoulder.

"Oh, before I forget! Your father asked me to give this to you." She pulled out a tiny square envelop, about size of a whiteboard eraser and handed it to me. She began walking towards the house. Rolling my eyes, I opened the back door and helped Jett, who had fallen asleep out of his seat. He wrapped his arms tightly around my neck as I carried him into the house.

"Here's the living room, the dining room, the kitchen - oh, and my son Ryan. Ryan, come say hello to Jane!" She yelled to a skinny, tanned, guy who seemed too young to have a kid. He looked around my age, twenty-three. He stood outside, smoking a cigarette. Without even turning to look at us, he waved his hand up. "Don't mind him. He's always crabby."

I laid Jett down on the couch as Allison kept rambling on about my father. I was honestly starting to get a little tired of hearing her voice nonstop. She mentioned something about a shop outside and guitars, which struck my interest.

After leaving to go to her bedroom, I walked outside and to the shop. The walls on the inside were decorated with dusty guitars hanging. There were so many. The sight was beautiful. After observing each and every detail on the guitars, I looked across the room. There on the other side lied a tarp lying over an old car. I gasped in excitement. No way. Hesitantly, I took the dusty tarp off the car and ran my hand along the side, smiling. It was a green 1970 Four-Door Sedan.

"I figured you'd probably be in here." Allison entered the shop in her night gown and bath robe. "I see you found the piece of junk." I smiled and nodded.

"My father had this when we were kids. He'd pick Alex and I up from school and it never failed to break down on the side of the road. It was a nightmare. I can't believe he kept it."

"Well, he never really got around to fixing it here, but Ryan did. A few months ago, he added new parts to it, so it should be all fixed up." Allison smiled.

"Do you think I could use the truck to have a look around town tonight?" I asked, looking at her behind me. She shrugs.

"Well, Ryan has to use it to get to work tonight. I guess the only alternative is this." I sighed, not wanting to risk it. Oh well.