Chapter Four - The Bar

The windows were rolled down and the radio blaring old country music as I drove around town, trying to get a feel for it. There really wasn't much here. I stopped at a small little bar. It was probably the nicest building in town - probably because it got the most business.

All of the tables around the building were full. It was mainly middle aged men coming off a long day at work. I sat at the last seat at the bar, ordering a Coors Light. I observed the room as I took small sips of my beer. In the far corner was a colorful 1950s jukebox, but no music was playing. Back at the front of the room, I noticed a tall girl with a guitar sitting on a stool. In front of her stood a microphone stand. She was covered in the spotlight.

I watched as the girl began to strum her guitar and sing. Some asshole stood up from his seat at the table and began to boo her off. His whole table joined in - someone even through an empty beer bottle at her. She dodged it and stood up walking over to the bar next to me.

"I thought your song was beautiful. Err, at least what I heard of it." I smiled at the girl. She stared at me as if trying to think of who I was.

"Thanks. At least someone around here likes it. These old drunks usually don't even let me get on the stage." The girl sighed and rested her head on her hand. Her long blonde hair cascading down to her waist. "I'm Max by the way." She turned back to me and stook out her hand.

"Jane." I shook her hand and smiled.

"You look familiar, but I don't think I've ever seen you around here before. You don't seem like the type to live here in this town." She eyed me suspiciously but then turned to watch the bartender go into the back room. She stood up and leaned over the counter, grabbing two more bottles of beer. She hands one to me.

"Hey, you wanna hear my new song?" She asks excitedly. I nod my head and follow her out of the bar. She tells me to meet her at the hospital down the road.

[Jane drives to the hospital]

Max met me outside of the hospital and led me to a room on the second floor. She pulled up a chair for me and took her guitar out. There was an unconscious woman laying in a hospital bed, hooked up to a machine. She had bruises on her face and arms and looked to be in her late '30s.

Max began to sing her song. It was amazing. She definitely has the potential to be something big if she moved to Nashville or L.A. When she finished strumming the last chord of the song, Max turned to look at me with a smile.

"Are you a musical person?" She asked. I looked down with a smile.

"Yes. I'm actually a singer-songwriter myself." I watched as her eyes grew big in excitement.

"No way! That's where I know you from! You're Jane Vaughan! You're always on the radio!" She turns to the lady on the bed. "Did you hear that mamma? We're in the presence of a legend!" I chuckled.

"So, why are we here?" I asked her.

"This is my mamma, Laura. She got in a car accident two weeks ago and now she's in a coma. I know she'll wake up though."

"Do you come here everyday?"

"Yeah. I just come here and tell her about my day, although I know she doesn't care. We've always had a rough relationship. My dad left when I was six and he took all of the money with him. My mom made money by hoeing around town. She's known as the 'town whore.' That's why everyone at the bar hates me. I'm her bastard kid."

"Hey. They can't say you're a bad person just because of who you're related to. That's bullshit." A small smile formed on Max's face. "It's getting late. I should probably get back home." She nodded and jumped up from her seat, walking me out to my car. I said a quick goodbye and made my way back to Allison's house.