Chapter 5 - Grandparents?

The bright sunlight blinded my eyes as I woke up the next morning. I sat up on the couch and rubbed my eyes. Feeling the presence of another person, I turned my head to look at the two recliners in front of the couch.

A familiar looking elderly couple smiled at me. It was kind of awkward.

"I'm sorry. I think Allison is in the back. I can go get her for you." I began to get up from the couch, but the old man stopped me.

"No, we're here for you! Do you not know who we are?" He asked. I shook my head. The old lady smiled sadly.

"We're your grandparents." Memories began flooding into my mind of my childhood.

"Let's go kids! We're going to be late for the Easter service!" My beautiful mother yelled from downstairs. Alex and I picked up the cards we were playing with and raced downstairs. My mom smiled at us and led us to the car.

"Where's daddy?" I asked.

"He's out of town today. He'll be back tomorrow." My mother said sadly, but her eyes flashed in relief.

We got to the church and sat down with an elderly couple.

"Hi mom, hi dad!" My mother gave them a hug and a kiss on the cheek. "Alex, Jane. These are your grandparents." Alex looked at our mother confused while I ran up to the couple excitedly.

The old man picked me up in his arms while they both gave me a kiss on the cheek.

That was the first time I'd seen my grandparents and the last time I'd seen them until today. I jumped up off the couch and gave them a hug.

"I do remember you!" My grandma had tears in her eyes.

Behind me, I heard a small pair of feet quietly running down the hall.

"Daddy!" Jett yelled and ran to the front door.

"Can you guys excuse me for just a second?" I asked. They smiled and nodded.

I walked outside to see Jett jump into Ryan's arms. The joy in Ryan's eyes when he saw his son made my heart melt.

"Where are you going, Daddy?" Jett asked as Ryan put him down.

"I gotta go to work," He picks up the groceries in the back of his truck and glares at his mother. "Someone's gotta work around here." She scoffs and stands there smoking a cigarette.

"What's that supposed to mean?" I asked her as I picked up the rest of the groceries for Ryan.

"Oh, he's just cranky in the morning." Allison stated and took another puff of her ciggie.

My grandparents walked out hand-in-hand and made their way towards me.

"I've longed to see you and Alex again for so many years. Hopefully this will be the first of many visits." My grandma said sweetly. I hugged her again and helped them get into their car.

"I'll see you guys later. I'm so glad I got to see you again!" I said. My grandpa waved and drove away.

I watched them for a second, my mind all over the place. Feeling a small pair of arms wrap around my leg, I looked down to find Jett smiling up at me. I picked him up and smiled at him.

"Hurry up would ya? We don't got all day to meet the undertaker." Allison yelled from the porch. Jett giggled in my arms as I carried him inside.