iv. ashes

───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────

───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────

chapter four, ashes

     The black smoke billowed from the Lars' household. All that Luke Skywalker had ever known had been reduced to ashes by the Galactic Empire. Seeing burning villages and witnessing the wrongful deaths of innocent people was something Lora never grew accustomed to.

     She was dazed as she gaped at the scene before her. She noticed the burning bones of what she assumed to be Luke's aunt and uncle. She was rooted in her spot, left watching.

     She quickly snapped out of it, slowly approaching Luke as he stared on in horror. He was frozen, completely stiff as he processed what had happened. She reached her hand to his shoulder, hoping to offer comfort as he mourned his family.

     He didn't move, still staring at the bones as smoke rolled off of them. Earlier, they had seen the murdered Jawas, but this pained her far more than the scene from before. She had seen far worse things, but Luke had just lost everything he ever knew.

     She understood, but didn't know the feeling at the same time. He tensed under her touch, forgetting that she had been there in the first place. When he had run off to his speeder, she instantly followed, not entertaining the idea of Luke being killed by Stormtroopers. It was just them out there, in complete silence, the wind the only comforting feeling.

      Luke put his head down, as Lora removed her hand. She could feel the rage roll off of him in waves, he had a right to be angry, the Empire had destroyed his life. They had taken away the people who, although they weren't his real parents, had raised him to become brave, kind and reckless. Lora hadn't even known him for more than mere hours, but she could tell he was benevolent.

      He was a rare occurrence in the galaxy, not often did someone willingly run into imminent danger or kindly comfort a stranger. Lora didn't want Luke to lose that part of himself, she had seen too many go down the wrong path.

She would do whatever she could to make sure that didn't happen.

     She moved to his side, noticing how he clenched his fists in anger and his eyes turned dark. Galaxies burned in his eyes, as he stared at the smoke.

     Her face remained still, her expression becoming worried. She creased her brow, showing Luke that she cared. She spoke evenly and calmly, "Luke, we have to go back to Ben." She paused waiting for him to respond, when he didn't turn to acknowledge her she slightly shifted, moving in front of Luke, hands waving to express her urgency.

"We have to go now. They might come back and I don't think that the two of us can take an entire group of imperial troops."

     His electric blue eyes met hers, entrancing her as she stared directly into them. Never before had she believed the saying the eyes are the window to the soul more than in this moment. His expression was blank, but his eyes spoke clearly. He was angry, dangerously so.