xi. sidelined

───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────

───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────

chapter eleven, sidelined

"Two fractured ribs, two laser wounds, and severe sleep deprivation. It seems you've had quite a good time, Commander."

Lora clenched her jaw as the medical droid cleaned her shoulder, the burning sensation from the antiseptic had become a feeling that she had felt almost every week, but it still made her wince nonetheless. She blinked away the pain, turning her eyes away from the bright lights to look at the older Nautolan.

"I always do, Doc."

His dark eyes blinked unamusedly at the young woman as he let out a tired sigh. Lora shook her head as much as she could laughing slightly at the doctor she had grown to know well over the years. He had worked as a doctor with the Alliance since she had first started and she had visited often—too often.

She slowly raised into a sitting position with the help of her doctor, the tension in her side making her pant slightly, "So, am I good to fly, or do I need to pretend that I am?"

"I'm sorry, Lillora, but there's no way that you'll be able to fly for a while. You're lucky your body didn't go into hypovolemic shock with the amount of blood you had lost."

She quickly jumped off the table, regretting it as her side ached and her knees wobbled slightly. She had already missed the briefing and now she was going to miss the battle. The medical droid next to her tsked slightly as it saw her stumble, quickly leaning her back into the table for support.

She rubbed her shoulder, the gel began to work its magic making her want to itch it obsessively. She huffed, deeply upset with the news, "You're joking, right? The battle of the century and I'm sidelined?"

He shook his head, his face the most serious Lora had seen in a while. His deep voice commanded her, "It's for the best, now take these and get some rest. And please do make an effort to not show up at my office after every one of your missions."

She was fuming as he handed her some pain medication, she wanted to be able to fight not to sleep peacefully. It was a once in a lifetime opportunity and she wouldn't be able to command her squadron of pilots. She trusted her second-in-command completely, Biggs Darklighter was an excellent pilot with a strong belief in the cause, but it hurt that she wouldn't be able to be out there to help.

She walked unsteadily out of the room holding her ribs as she refused to look back at her doctor. Her feet were placed one in front of the other as she refused to let anyone notice how much it hurt to walk. She couldn't use crutches because of her shoulder injury and she refused to use a wheelchair because she didn't want people to take pity on her.

Passerby in the halls watched as the young commander moved slowly throughout the hallways, a defeated look in her eyes and her jaw clenched in pain. Medicine was advanced and severe injuries could be fixed within days, but everyone knew that the pilot wouldn't be ready in time for battle.