xiii. finally

───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────

───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────

chapter thirteen, finally

   The world seemed to slow, the hallways blurring as Lora ran past. Not even the fast beating of her heart or the ice in her lungs could slow her down as she ran to the large metal doors that lead out of the base. Han followed behind her struggling to gain her attention as he yelled at her to stop. She didn't even hear him as she ordered the nearest technician, "Go and get me patrol gear."

   The poor technician seemed confused and a little frightened by her harshness, but they could never disobey a direct order from a superior and nodded as they hurried off to the supply room.

   Han stopped behind her, slightly out of breath. His cheeks were wind-burnt and red from both the snow and stress. She could tell he was frustrated, but she didn't care as he tried to reason with her, "Lora you can't possibly think you can go out there and save him do you? You've barely ever even been out there yourself!"

   Quickly, the technician came fumbling back through the hallway with patrol gear and began to help her put it on. Although it should have distracted her or even ceased her argument with Han, nothing could ever stop those two from bickering. "Well I can't sit here and wait for him to come back frozen to death can I?"

   He rolled his eyes, his hands expressing his frustration as he pointed to the frigid environment outside, "No, because you'll be frozen to death before you even make it near him."

   "What are you suggesting then, we do nothing?" Her movements ceased, putting a stop to the technician handing her clothing. Her eyes were frantic, Han noticed. He hadn't seen her this upset in a long time, not since that day on the Death Star. Not since the beginning of their journey.

   Even still, Han knew he needed to be the one to get Luke, no matter the desperation she felt. "I'll go get him, we were on patrol together today."

Her jaw locked, biting back venom, "And you left him alone out there?"

   "He's perfectly capable and you know that." Han began to leave, there was no time for her to rile him up. Luke was still out there and Han cared for his friend too.

   She took the last of the gear from the technician and pulled it on, ignoring Han's annoyance. "Well obviously not! Because he's still out there and he'll die if we don't find him."

   He grabbed her arm softly, stopping her from putting on the rest of the gear. "Let me get him Lora, he's as much as my friend as he is yours."

   Han knew that to Lora, Luke was far more than a friend. Everyone knew. But Lora and Luke still kept it a secret, or at least pretended to.

    Even though Han's words weren't entirely true, he knew that Lora could not go out there. She didn't know Hoth at all, she had been holed up in intelligence meetings and in the conference room while him and Luke patrolled the planet every day.