viii. vexation

───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────

───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────

chapter eight, vexation

     Lora could taste as the bile rose to the back of her throat. Her emotions teetered on the edge of instability and unpredictability. She could feel the painfully slow rise and fall of her chest as she stared out into space. The bleak nothingness of what was once Alderaan haunting her.

     Alderaan was her second home. Glimpses of meadows filled to the brim with beautiful flowers, sunsets putting Naboo to shame, ice-capped mountains littering the horizon. Alderaan was a planet of beauty, of culture, and now it was reduced to rubble.

     Lora suddenly remembered that Bail had returned to the planet, he was no doubt a casualty along with Breha. Her eyes watered as her hand rose to cover her mouth in horror. She snuck back to the main hold, leaving without the quartet even noticing.

     She sat down at the table, her breaths becoming erratic and labored, as she thought about those that she had lost. Bail and Breha were like parents to her, taking her under their protection when she had to leave Naboo. The warm embrace of Breha after a long day of training or the gentle reassurances of Bail after a mental breakdown.

Leia. How was she going to tell Leia?

     She couldn't even begin to describe the pain she felt, how was Leia going to react? Leia was stronger than her, but she lost her parents, her home planet, she had lost everything. She could no longer hear the soft hum of the ship or the voices of the men in the cockpit. The only thing she could hear was the rapid beat of her heart. It thundered in her chest, distracting her from the outside world. It was in pain, diseased from the thoughts radiating in her mind.

     Her breath slowed down as she thought about Leia. She did not deserve to act this way, Leia was somewhere in the galaxy lost and hopeless, she needed to get it together and rescue her. Because who else was going to. Screw the rebellion, screw the galaxy, her best friend was out there suffering. And no one was looking for her.

     As her heart calmed and her rapid breathing ceased, her eyes became steely. She swallowed her feelings, pushing them deep down. She rose from the table, fiercely wiping the tears from her cheeks. She would find Leia, even if it killed her.

Then she heard shouts.

     The nervous voices of Luke and Han yelling from the cockpit, she rushed back in and noticed the figure of a small moon appearing in the distance. She rushed to the space between Han and Chewbacca, peering out into space. The captain gave her an odd look when he noticed the shock in her expression.

     Lora stood strong, her hands fidgeting wildly as she stared out the window. Then she went still, completely still, it was like she forgot how to breathe as all of the oxygen in her body left her.