xii. moving up

───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────

───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────

chapter twelve, moving up

The bedrooms on Hoth were cold, but Luke's hands were somehow colder, instantly waking Lora as he shifted her hair from her face, his cold fingers gently brushing her skin. Her eyes met his and she smiled, groggily whispering, "Your hands are freezing."

She laughed as she took hold of his wrist to try to remove his hands, but he didn't budge. He grinned, "I know."

She dropped her hand when he stole a quick kiss from her. Then, he hurriedly got out of bed leaving her alone and wrapped in the warm bed sheets. She sighed as he left, nestling herself more into the bed. "Do you have to wake me up every time you have an early patrol?"

He shrugged, jumping as he put on his snowsuit, "Well you're the one that sneaks into my room every night, so don't blame me."

She rolled her eyes, leaning her head on her arm to stare him down, "If it wasn't so cold, I would get out of bed and punch you." Luke laughed and continued to get dressed for patrol. Lora always thought he looked so cute bundled up in his winter gear.

Not too long ago, Luke had only been in the blistering heat of Tatooine. Watching him explore new terrains and experience new seasons was entertaining. It was like she was experiencing the galaxy again for the first time when she was with him.

And she loved it.

Lora watched him very closely as he finished getting ready and when he was done, he went back to the bed and leaned into Lora, placing one last kiss on her lips. She leaned in, placing her hand on his face as he pulled away. "Have a good day, Luke. I'll see you after my shift in command."

He smiled brightly and hurried out the door when he noticed the time,"See you later, Lora."

Once the door to Luke's room shut, she took her hand from under her cheek and fell back down onto his bed. Thankfully, her shift didn't start for a couple more hours.

The command room was crowded today, as every important officer that was not on patrol sat around to listen to Lillora and the other core commanding officers address the state of recent affairs in the war effort. Lora could feel the nerves bundle in her chest as her turn to speak began to grow near.

She had now moved from her rank as Commander of the Green Squadron to Commander of Intelligence. She became more involved in war tactics and strategy than she had ever been in before. She was never a fan of intelligence, but after what happened on the Death Star, the General saw her potential as a leader and a strategist. She now had clearance to plan missions for squadrons, instead of carrying them out herself, she would assign them.