Never The Same

Sonic pov~

I stared at the ceiling, examining the chipping paint with a frown. I was finally back home now after Silver and Shadow had rescued me, and I had no idea what to feel. I haven’t moved since I was deposited on the bed, allowing Silver to fuss over me while Shadow called, what I presumed was, the others.

Soon, Tails had bolted through the door, tackling me into a hug with tears streaming down his face. My heart sank at the sight of my little brother in such a state, although I was reluctant to comfort him, knowing that I was the one who caused him such grief. 

After a few minutes, he shuffled back, eyes staring into mine. His tears had dried somewhat, but the look in his eyes had turned sad and a little hurt. I was conflicted. I knew he was hurting; the simple act of not returning his embrace left him confused and rejected. 

“Sonic?” He questioned, a worried expression on his face.

I sighed, knowing that I couldn’t fight it anymore. "I'm fine, buddy. Just exhausted," I tried to assure him, but I could see he wasn't convinced

So I laid back down, pulling the blanket back over me.

As a closed my eyes to empathize my point, I felt a shift as he got off the bed.

"Oh, no you don't. We have to address your wounds, first!" He declared, his palm curled around my wrist and tugged me to my feet. I groaned, opening one eye to give me a sleep glare.

"Aw, come on, Tails. I'm fine," I protested, wanting to go back to bed. I barely slept since yesterday and I just wanted to be alone for the rest of the week.

He turned and stared up at me, a frown on his face. Suddenly a grin replaced it, his eyes sparkling. Oh, no.

"If you come, I'll make you a batch of chilli dogs," he offered with a smirk.

I froze, staring at him. My stomach growled in betrayal at the mention of food.

Tails looked victurious as he tugged again, receiving no resistance as he lead us down to the workshop.

Shadow pov~

I sighed inwardly, leaning against the wall of the workshop as the fox kit tended to Faker’s wounds. He kept throwing glances in my direction, before turning away, ashamed. Tails was in the middle of scanning him, he gasped, telling us that we needed to step outside. I was confused by this, wondering what had brought such a reaction from the fox kit, but left with the others regardless.

“Why did Tails tell us to leave,” the pink girl, dubbed Rose, asked, just as confused as we were.

“Maybe Mr Sonic is sick?” Cream suggests with a worried expression. 

“Calm down, everyone… Maybe it’s something personal and he doesn’t want to tell us. He has every right to choose if he wants to tell us about it or not,” Blaze injected, looking at everyone seriously.

“What I want to know, is how Eggman was even able to get ahold of him. Sonic would never allow this,” Silver mused, worry shining in his eyes.

I mentally face palmed myself; does he not remember the events of the forces? Faker was bloody captured for six months because he was too cocky about taking on Infinite by himself. The idiot could have cost them the war. That time, he never broke down. He never gave up. He bounced straight back, despite being captured for all that time…

Which just raises the question; what happened to warrant such a change? He couldn’t deny that it made him worried about the blue hedgehog. The answers were something they both wanted, yet hoped that he never came across.