Why

Sonic pov~

I woke up to the sound of birds chirping outside my window. I blinked slowly, trying to orientate myself. I stretched there and found that there was an empty spot next to me.

I froze, wondering why that was a concern. Tails had grown out of crawling into my bed at night, and would only do it when he had a nightmare or there was a thunderstorm.

I thought hard, then frowned. I remembered what happened in my dream last night. Tears sprang to my eyes as realization came crashing upon me. It was a dream. A sense of dread washed over me. I quickly rushed out of my bed going downstairs.

"Shadow..." I called out, but nothing, then I ran to Tails's workshop. "Tails! Was Shadow h-here..." I paused as a rush of relief and realization hit me.

Yesterday wasn't a dream, it actually happened. A set of golden inhibitor rings was on the side, belonging to a certain black hedgehog. I almost collapsed with relief.

"Sonic? What's wrong?" Tails called, rushing over to me. A soldering iron was in his hand and a pair of safety goggles was hanging off the side of his face. He seemed to squint, trying to see through the slanted lens.  He looked at me, worried.

I was about to reassure him when Shadow jumped down from the ceiling support beams, looking alarmed. He hovered in the background, unsure what to do or say as Tails continued to fuss over me. I couldn't tell what he was saying as I stared at him in disbelief.

"What? Is there something on my face?" He asked, confused.

I snapped out of my shock, not sure what to say as I rubbed the back of my head. I felt so embarrassed.

"I thought I was dreaming. Sorry to worry you, buddy," I told him with a faint smile, not sure what was going on.

"About what?" He asked me, concerned. He came closer, his hand bumping against mine. His big blue eyes were examining me. He frowned. "Did you have a bad dream, again?"

"Uh... Ya, I did buddy, but I'm fine now, " I tried to reassure him, as I stole a glance at Shadow. "So, what are you up to in here?" I asked, changing the subject.

Shadow raised an eyebrow, but answered regardless. "You were asleep, so I chose to help Tails. The light has been out for weeks and he couldn't find a ladder to fix the bulb."

Tails nodded in confirmation to his story.

"When you too are not fighting, Shadow is pretty useful," he laughed, scratching the back of his head.

Crimson eyes narrowed. "Watch it, fox," he retorted, but the usual bite wasn't there. I smiled, wondering how they got on speaking terms in the first place.

"Well, I'm glad you two are getting along. Maybe he could help you with breakfast, too?" I teased with a smile.

As a growl could be heard coming from my stomach. I blushed. "Uh eggs and pancakes, anyone?" I turned to look at them both only for Tails to stop me from going up the steps. "Oh, no you don't remember what happened last time you tried to make breakfast?" He told me, as images of almost burning the house down came flashing back.

I winced. "It was one time!" I commented back, only for him to raise a brow at me.

"Actually, it was twice," he corrected. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Shadow with a smile on his face.

Tails turned to him and flashed him a smile and mouthed something I didn't quite catch. Next thing I knew, the kid had grabbed my arm and pulled me back inside the house. Once we entered the kitchen, he hauled me over to a chair and forced me to sit down.