Chapter 5

The next day

I decided to find a job in the city. Since last night I have been thinking about this. I already have prepared a resume and several certificates that I got when I still at the institutions. I made a decision to find a job because I do not want to burden my husbands, and I am the oldest among us. Due to that, I feel a responsibility to find a job to buy some necessity for our apartment, such as foods. Even though the government provided a monthly allowance for us but I think it's not enough support our daily living expenses because of the amount of the allowance only for two persons. 'Whatever happens today, I have to find a job. Fighting!' Before I go out to find a job, I already have prepared breakfast for my husbands and left some note stating that I need to go out first because of the need to settle some matters.

Because of I did not know the ways to the city; it took me a lot of time to arrive at the city. I have to take a public bus, and before getting to the city, I had the wrong bus twice. 'What happened to my life today. I already rode the wrong bus twice. It was like give a sign to me that today is my bad luck'. I sighed loudly while I walked around the city. In my hand, there was a copy of a newspaper filled with red circles indicating the job vacancy that I could apply for. After I found out about the job vacancy around the city, I started my journey to apply for a job. Most companies ask me to leave my resume first, and they will call me later to make an appointment for an interview. Some companies do not want to accept me because I do not have the educational qualification that should be.

When the clock on my wrist has shown almost 12 noon, my stomach started made a rock concert indicating I need to fill my stomach first before returning back to my journey. I am walking around while looking at the restaurants or cafes that can be eaten with my limited money less than $30. As I walk, I see a cafe named 'The HideOut'. All of sudden I want to have a cup of coffee now even though it's noon. I go to that cafe without thinking. Before I push the entrance door of the cafe, I saw an ad on the glass door that says there is a vacancy here and needed someone with a barista coffee license. I am so happy and excited when I saw the ad because the barista is the job that I desire the most.

As I walk into "The HideOut", the strong bitter aroma of ground coffee beans drift through the air, soaking into my clothes as I make my way to the counter. The smell was circulating because the coffee bar is located near the right side of the shop. While stepping through the entrance door, the first thing I noticed was the transparent glass cabinet that full with the baked goods, and they are tidily placed in the cabinet. There are all different types of baked goods such as muffins, cakes, cookies, streusels and biscotti. There is an assortment of coffee beans packed into brown bags up above near the ceiling of the coffee bar. 

Besides that, all along the walls of the cafe are strategically placed vintage paintings and inspirational quotes. Dim lights shine on the spaced-out vintage furniture, making for a very soothing and quiet atmosphere. Inside the cafe, one can observe several wooden tables without table cloths, wooden chairs and lovely soft sofas with dark coloured pillows. The cafe has larger tables for six to eight people, and it also has smaller tables for 2 people or even single person tables and chairs by the window and on the front of the coffee bar. I like admiring this type of environment: soothing and calming. The sound of chatters and laughter blends together with background music playing around the cafe, and the volume is set at the medium tone. 

"Next," said the worker at the register. I awoke from my daydream, and I looked in front and behind me. There was no customer in front and behind me. 'I must have been daydreaming for a long time without knowing about my surroundings'.

"Sir, it's your turn to order. What do you want to order? I can recommend our special set for today if you still do not know what to order," repeated the worker to me with her big smile.

"Ummm, actually I want to ask about the job vacancy here. Is it still available?" I asked the worker.

"Oh, it still available. You wait here for a while, I will call the owner first," said the worker named Amelia that written on her name tag. While waiting for the owner of the cafe, I looked around as I enjoyed jazz music plays in the cafe. A few minutes later, there was a man in a navy-blue dress shirt and jeans who walked up to me with Amelia behind the man.

"This is a person that asking for the job vacancy," said Amelia to that man while pointing to me. When she said that, I smiled at the man and held out my hand to him for a handshake. He shook my hand and said,

"Hello, my name is Alec Chen. You can call me Alec. I am the owner of this cafe. Amelia told me that you ask for the job vacancy here. It is still available. May I know your name? Let's have a sit first," said Alec to me, and he took me to the table near the coffee bar.

"My name is Oliver Lewis," I said and I handed a file that had my resume and several certificates to Alec.

"May I know do you have any qualification or experience as a barista?" asked Alec while smiling to me.

"I do not have any experience as a barista before this, but I have a barista coffee license. I took the license while I still in the institution," I said.

"Oh, okay. It does not matter if you do not have any experience. Can I ask you to make a cup of coffee for me as a test to determine whether you are eligible or not working here?"

"Of course, I can," I said with anticipation when I was allowed to show my skill.

"Great! Amelia, please shows and assists him the coffee machine," he said to Amelia. He then looked at me and said, "You can follow Amelia. If you need anything, you can ask Amelia." I nod my head and get up from my chair and follow Amelia to the coffee bar. After Amelia shows the machine and cheers me up, I say thank you for the cheering and give her a big smile.

When I saw the coffee machine in front of me, suddenly I felt very nervous about making coffee and using the coffee machine. 'You can do it. Believe in yourself. This is what you want to do for the present and future.' I said to myself and took a deep breath before I start to make a coffee.

After a while, I have prepared a cup of coffee. I smiled at the coffee and prayed for it to meet Alec's standard. I brought the coffee to the table and put it in front of Alec. He looks at the coffee for a moment and then looks at me with a smile and looks back at the coffee. After that, he takes the coffee cup to his mouth and sips a little bit, and then he put the coffee cup back. I was nervous and held my hand tightly and prayed in my heart many times until I lost count.

"I think your coffee tastes so good and has a unique taste that I have never tasted before. Well done and congratulation. You are hired to work here as a barista. You can start work next week," said Alec with a big smile while looking at me.

"Really! Oh, God! Thank you very much. I really appreciate it. Thank you for accepting me to work here. I will work hard," I said with excitement and doubt as to if I did not believe his words. I am so happy to have the job that I have wanted for so long.

After thanking Alec a few times, I decided to take a stroll in the park near my apartment before returning home. 'Today is a good day for me. I feel so happy and excite to start work there. I can't wait to tell my husbands this good news.'