Important Info

A few things that you'll need to know about asl for this book and AU.

Okay guys, so i take asl right? So I'm really really used to referring to sign language as asl, which I'm going to do in this book. Obviously the deaf population in Japan doesn't use asl, they use jsl which is Japanese sign language which is very very different. I know this, like I really know this I promise, but for the sake of my sanity and the fact I know some asl, I'm just gonna say that they use asl, cool? Great.

Name signs~
Name signs are just how deaf people use names without having to fingerspell it out everytime. A name sign can only be given to you by a culturally deaf person, which is different than just someone who can't hear and uses a hearing aid, but I'm seriously not gonna get into that because we'd be here all day with me just explaining the differences.

Obviously Katsuki has a name sign, along with Izuku, Mitsuki, Masaru and Inko, seeing as they're all important figures in Katsuki's life and he signs about them and to them all the time and wouldn't want to fingerspell their names all the time. I'm not gonna like describe their name signs or any of the signs they'll use, bc that's really difficult trust me I had to do it for over 300 signs for an assignment once.

Another thing, there are some things that just can't be translated from asl to english and vice versa which makes writing it really hard because I wanna keep this as accurate as possible. I'll probably end up ignoring the translating fact and just write their signing dialog the same way I'd write regular dialog.

Also Izuku's name sign, is gonna be with the asl letter D, like the hand shape or whatever, bc Katsuki still calls him Deku, so his name sign would be with a D and not an I. Which is why when there's signing dialog, it'll say Deku and not Izuku. Unless it's someone else signing it that's not Katsuki, then it'll probably be Izuku. Anyways, not really important.

Also, just so you know, the signing dialog obviously won't be in asl word order bc then it wouldn't make a lick of sense. It'll be translated back to English, which is why stuff like sorry and please will be at the beginning of sentences when asl that stuff goes at the end. Or how time signs have to go first, they'll just fall into the sentences like normal English bc well it will be in English. Ignore me trying to defend myself to the handful of people that also know asl.

One last thing I forgot about! Katsuki didn't lose his hearing fully until middle school, which means he was raised hearing and talking. HE CAN STILL TALK!!!!!!!!! He'll be talking and reading lips a lot throughout this book, which isn't easy and he doesn't like doing either, but he doesn't have a lot of options ya know?

Also, Aizawa and Mic are married in this and Mic has severe hearing loss from his quirk, which means they both know asl. YOU CAN PRY THIS DEAF AU FROM MY COLD DEAD HANDS, mmk?

Oh and a fun little spoiler but not really. You all get to read about Shoto as he tries to learn asl for Katsuki because that's just adorable.