3.3

The Best Couple

Two weeks after the present exchange, I was sitting next to Beck and behind Cat in Sikowitz's class. His arm was around my shoulders and I was snuggled into his side. Jade was impatiently pacing around the room, complaining about Sikowitz being late. Finally, she sat down next to Cat and paused her complaints.

"Maybe we can try an acting scene on our own," Robbie suggested, probably trying to make Jade stop complaining.

Cat gasped, "Oo! What if we act out the final scene from Titanic? When the boat sinks. Oh my god I just gave away the ending. SPOILER ALERT!" She started laughing.

Everybody looked at her. So she wants us all to act out that we're drowning?

"Y'know," Andre started, "Whenever she starts talking I think to myself 'Maybe this time it'll make sense.' I'm always wrong."

I shrugged. Suddenly, some weird screechy noise began to play. I covered my ears and darted out of the classroom. I slammed the door. The noise was a lot quieter out in the hallway. I waited for it to be gone before heading back into the room.

When I got back in Robbie said, "One I love grandma. Two I love grandma—"

Jade screamed, "PLUG IT IN!"

He plugged it back in, causing Tori to say, "Thanks."

"Why's your phone all jacked?" Andre asked.

Tori turned around to look at him, "You tell me. It should work fine."

I snickered, "How many times have you dropped it in the toilet, Tori?"

"ONLY THREE!"

"That could be a whole different problem," I mumbled quietly, causing Beck to laugh gently.

"Now it won't stay changed so I have to keep it plugged in all the time," Tori explained, pulling the cord up.

"Just get a new phone," Beck stated the obvious.

"Don't give her advice," Jade snapped. What the hell?

"She—"

"Man, can you stop trying to pick petty fights with me?"

"Ugh," she stuck her tongue out.

"Ugh," he did she same.

All of a sudden, Robbie said, "My father's embarrassed of me." I think we could all tell, Robbie. I think we could all tell.

"Sorry to hear that," I said.

Andre changed the subject, "You really should just get a new PearPhone."

"If I buy a new PearPhone now, I have to get another GS, but people say the new PearPhone XT might come out next month."

They continued talking about Tori's annoying phone problem for a while until Jade said, "If we're gonna keep talking about Tori's phone can someone take me to a car door so I can slam my face in it?"

"I have a car!" Beck offered, laughing. He wasn't scared of her. I was terrified of her on her bad days. Today was one of them. So I tried really hard to stifle my laugh.

She looked at him dead in the eyes, "Oh."

Just then, Sin-Jin walked in, "Hey, I have an announcement."

Immediately, Tori brought up her phone problem. Now I wanted to slam my head in a car door too.

"You guys know that game show I invented? Queries for Couples?" the mop head boy asked.