Chapter XXV.

One month later.

Salma waited in the lobby to a local theater, she was so nervous and she could feel eyes coming from all directions. She was the only black woman, let alone the only person of color that sat in the room. She kept her head high, and she looked around to see her competition, but in her mindset, they weren't even near competition. She hated to feel that way about others, but she had to start somewhere. A woman gets up, and she walks towards Salma, she leans down and Salma looks at the woman. "I think you're in the wrong audition room, the color purple audition room is down the hallway." The woman says and Salma's eyes furrowed. "I'm in the right room, I'm auditioning for Fanny Brice." Salma stated and the women in the room laughed.

The lady laughed as she sat back down and Salma ignored their laughter as much as she could, she was going to do amazing in this audition and she was going to get it even if it kills her. "Salma Wolfgang." A woman says and Salma gets up, the woman looks at Salma and her mouth parted but she doesn't say anything. Salma followed behind the lady into this big theater with an enormous stage and about four people sat down at the table, then a woman sitting at the piano.

Salma sets her things down, and she exhales, then she walks up the stairs then onto the stage. The producer, director, choreographer, and casting director sees the black woman, her hair was in voluminous curls, she wore a shimmery silver sweater with black pants and some black boots. Salma smiled and the casting director passed down her portfolio. "Hello, I'm Salma Abdulmajid." She introduces herself and Salma smiles as she watches them. The director looks up at her. "We will start at please you got to face facts then you're going to do the number, I'm A Greatest Star." The man says and Salma nodded, the director looked at her and she picked up the script, she skimmed over the script which wasn't hard at all.

"You've got to face facts, you don't look like the other girls. You got skinny legs, you stick out and you are out!"The director read.

"I want to tell you something." Salma stated.

"Sorry, kid." The director said.

"Give me a chance! I do a terrific time step! Watch!" Salma rushed out.

"Out, out, out, out!" The director exclaimed, and Salma sighed, then sat down the script and she looked at the director. "Suppose all you now... all of a sudden, in walks a bagel. So you take a look at it and say, what is that...until you tried it, that's my trouble." Salma says, and the director stares back at her, Salma thought she was doing so bad but really she had their attention. In fact, Salma intrigued them because she was the only black person who auditioned for Fanny Brice.. Ever.

"What's your trouble?" The director asked her.

"I'm a bagel on a plate full of onion rolls!" Salma yelled.

"Nobody recognizes me. Listen." Salma says and the woman at the piano began to play.

Salma lifted her head high, and she inhaled, then she exhaled. "Listen, I got thirty-six expressions. Sweet as pie, to tough as leather and that's six expressions more. Than all them Barrymores put together. Instead of just kicking me, why don't they give me a lift? It must be a plot 'cause they're scared that I got such a gift... Well, I'm miffed." Salma sings and the director leaned forward because everyone else sung it the same as Barbara Streisand, but Salma sings it how she wants to sing it.

Salma dances a little as she sings and usually they would stop the audition to squeeze in time but they wanted to hear more. "Hey, what are they blind? In all of the world so far. I'm the greatest star. Who is the pip with pizzazz? Who is all ginger and jazz? Who is as glamorous as? Who's an American beauty rose? With an American beauty nose and ten American beauty toes. Eyes on the target, and wham. One shot, one gunshot, and bam! Hey, Mr. Ziegfeld, here I am!" Salma sings and the piano halts and Salma looks at the woman at the piano then she looks at the director who motioned the woman at the piano to stop.