Chapter 17

Rayne grabbed her carry-on bag and followed Camden down the narrow aisle of the plane. He led her up the tunnel and out into the busy Seattle airport, never letting go of her hand.

She sighed to herself as the familiar scent of her home came rushing back to her. It felt like ages since she'd seen familiar territory, and she needed it. With everything the last week had brought, she should be in mental and emotional overload. There shouldn't be any energy left to spend tracking down whoever was trying to destroy her and possibly the rest of the world.

But she was surprisingly collected.

Even the news about vampires, zombies, and someone wanting to obliterate her, through it all, she was keeping an end in sight and holding onto herself and her sanity, however briefly. Somehow, she hadn't completely broken down yet, and she was hoping that a short trip would be just the thing to keep her from getting to that point.

When Camden mentioned a trip back home, she'd spent the remainder of the day in utter excitement while she packed. She'd called Layla and told her to expect a visit, and her friend had been just as ecstatic.

They made their way through the crowded airport, nothing out of the ordinary or unusual catching their eyes, and arrived at a taxi waiting for them at the curb just outside the doors. She was beyond excited to be home, even if it was just for a day or two. She had to make time to see Layla on top of their visit to Dr. Brennan. There was so much to do, and she felt as though she didn't have time to do it all. The whole trip had been quieter than she had expected, but it wasn't as awkward as she feared.

Two nights ago, when she and Camden had their movie night, she was afraid that things would get weird between them, but it really hadn't. He was his usual, flirty self, making advances that she continually fought off, and she was the same, reserved woman that she had been. She could tell that things were changing between the two of them, seemingly for the better. They had gotten much closer, and she found herself always longing for his presence. She knew that she was beginning to fall for him and had the distinct feeling that he might be doing the same, but she couldn't be sure. He didn't speak much about his feelings; he only gave small little hints and advances here and there.

There was still one problem behind it all: Camden was an immortal vampire, and she was just a normal human who one day would grow old and die. She pushed the thought from her mind as the cab turned the corner into her apartment complex.

"Home sweet home," Camden said with a smile, looking at her from across the backseat.

She laughed. "More like dump sweet dump."

He shook his head. "Come on now, it's not that bad."

Rayne gave him an incredulous look. "Really? After seeing what kind of house you live in?"

He shook his head. "A single woman doesn't need a house as big as mine."

She shook her head and climbed out of the car. "A single v..." she caught herself before the word came out of her mouth, "man like you doesn't need a house like that, either."

Camden scoffed. "Bachelor, Rayne. I'm a bachelor. Of course I need a house that big. How else am I going to impress the ladies?"

Rayne tried but failed to stop the outburst of laughter. "Trust me. You could be broke and living in a cardboard box and you still wouldn't have any trouble getting the 'ladies,'" she said, using her fingers in air quotes.

They approached the door to her home and he waited patiently for her to unlock it, that heart-stopping smirk of his in place. "Was that a compliment?"

Rayne laughed and let him inside, locking the door behind him. "Nope, just a mere observation."