Chapter 6

Chapter 6 - It's Never Easy

"I swear, it makes me reconsider getting married." Naomi muttered.

Cameron took a swig of her beer and shrugged. "I decided against that one years ago."

Havi and Jason came outside. They were all crowded together on Bobby's small porch, sipping beers and talking about the situation with Holmes.

Bobby's brows furrowed and she looked at Cam. "Thought you wanted a baby?"

Cameron leaned back against Jason's side. "Don't need a man to do it except for conception."

"So what, you just wanna raise a fatherless baby?" Havi asked.

"It's not impossible. I don't have good experience with men, lord knows I'd choose an arse of a husband."

Jason nudged her and raised his brows suggestively. "I'm not too bad."

She laughed. "You can be the honorary uncle."

"Fine by me. Look on the bright side, the baby would never be in danger what with your guardian angel."

She rolled her eyes and shrugged. "Probably true."

Bobby sipped her drink. "Yeah about that. What happened last time?"

Cameron hesitated. She had been protected by the strange woman three times now but had only told the team about the first and last, mainly because they knew she had been extracted by an unknown party. The second time, the woman had simply injured a man who was attacking Cameron. She hadn't said anything, simply walking away without a backwards glance.

Since the last encounter, Cameron had noticed a few of the criminals went easy on her. They tried to leave her with minor injuries, enough to keep her from following them. She had been called in more and more frequently for cases lately; it was the only reason for the recent encounters.

Cameron cleared her throat. "She just led me out of the tunnel and injured Larson when he tried to follow me. And then she walked me to the street and told me to catch a cab."

"And you still didn't get a glimpse of her face?" Havi asked.

She shook her head. "She kept her back to me when she was shooting and when we were walking, she kept the gun to my head so I wouldn't turn."

"But she promised not to hurt you."

"I wasn't taking chances."

Mack sighed loudly. "Well she isn't causing trouble, so why worry?"

"Because she knows about our operations, idiot." Jason kicked his friend. "Hand me your lighter, I need a smoke. Forgot mine."

"Don't have it."

Cameron dug around in her pocket and pulled out a lighter. He took it and shielded the flame as he lit his cigarette. "Thought you don't smoke." He murmured around it.

She took the lighter back and absently flicked the wheel. "I don't. Just like to mess with it."

"Yeah there's nothing weird about that."

She rolled her eyes and shoved him lightly. "Anyway, I gotta take care of Brooke tomorrow so I should go."

"Wait, wait. What was he doin'? Was he upset?" Naomi leaned forward.

"Holmes?" Cameron shrugged. "I guess. I mean he was pretty calm but he was drinking. That's probably as upset as he gets."

"I swear, he can't have loved her. Anyone would go crazy if they found out their wife was gonna kill them."