Chapter 15

Chapter 15 - Sentiment and Trust

Gideon jumped to his feet. "Stop! You can't shoot her. She didn't do anything, that's not fair!"

"Get down!" Cameron hissed.

Moran nudged her in the back of the head. "Quiet. Why isn't it fair, kid?"

"She didn't kill your brother." Gideon pointed out. He stared at the gun with wide eyes. His hands trembled at his sides. "Mum wouldn't hurt anybody."

"Hm... But life isn't fair, now is it?" He came around Cameron and lashed out, wrapping a hand in Gideon's shirt.

"No!" Cameron tried to stand. Moran pointed the gun at Gideon. He smiled as she sat back down.

"Atta girl. How about this, Holmes? Wanna save this one?"

Mycroft blinked slowly, watching Gideon begin to cry. The boy's chest heaved and hiccuping sobs shook the silence. There was movement in the corner of the room and then a cry as the taller man hit Jason.

"Don't move." He grumbled.

Mycroft took a breath. "You threaten the lives of twenty-seven of my agents in exchange for the life of one child."

"You'd let a kid die for those men and women?" Moran studied the memory stick in his hands.

"Would you kill him?" Mycoft tilted his head.

"Mycroft, please!" Cameron sobbed. "Please don't let him."

Mycroft looked at her, his eyes softening. He shook his head. "I'm sorry. I cannot jeopardize my men for Gideon."

"Mycroft!"

He met Moran's gaze. "Make your move." He sat back slowly and checked his watch.

Moran's smile faded slowly. His brows furrowed and his hand loosened in Gideon's shirt. Mycroft nodded imperceptibly.

There was a flurry of movement and a sudden cry. Jason slowly stood above the unconscious body of the taller man. He held the gun and steadily pointed at Bobby. His cuffs dangled from one wrist.

"I'd bet your employer needs her alive. Put the gun down."

Moran's eyes flickered between Bobby and Jason. His lip twisted.

"Like I said. Make your move." Mycroft's smile was short-lived. He lifted his phone and typed something out. Moran lowered his gun and let Gideon go just as the door was kicked in and ten agents, dressed all in black rushed in. They grabbed Moran, his accomplice, and Bobby and dragged them out as quickly as they had come. The guns were bagged, handcuffes unlocked, and the connection to Mycroft cut in a matter of minutes.

The stone room was suddenly quiet again, save for Gideon's sobs and Cameron's murmuring to him. She held him tightly and rocked him back and forth.

"I've got you. Hush, sweetie, it's okay. I've got you."

*

Mycroft sat down in John's chair and studied his brother's still form. John leaned against the back of Sherlock's chair. His wife was on the couch, pretending to be occupied with the baby who was sleeping soundly. John gently touched his friend's shoulder. Sherlock shook himself and opened his eyes. He focused on Mycroft.

There was no relief in his eyes this time as he realized Mycroft had yet to find Owen. There was no hurt or worry or longing. Just cold, hard logic - as it should have been.

Mycroft felt a shiver of satisfaction. Cameron had warned that Sherlock may never recover but then again, she didn't know Sherlock well.

Leaning forward, Mycroft presented him with a piece of paper.