Part 8: The Hospital

Donghyuck felt nothing and then an immense amount of pain shot through his body. He grit his teeth as he slowly slipped into consciousness.

His eyes hurt and just as he was about to open them and get a good look at his surroundings until he heard a familiar voice.

"How long until he wakes up?"

Why was that voice so damn familiar? Donghyuck didn't really care as he tried to steady his breathing, using all of his willpower to tell himself that he wasn't in pain.

Where was he? How did he even end up here? Where exactly was 'here'?

A bang reverberated around Donghyuck's memories and he inhaled sharper than he meant to.

Right. He was shot at.

He tightened his closed eyes as he remembered the shattering glass, the clinks as the pieces fell to the ground mixed with bullet shells and the crack of his own knees as he hit the ground.

Hands scrambling to stop the bleeding.

Shot after endless shot.

And then foreign hands.

Comforting hands. Hands that placed themselves gently on his body. That wrapped his leg to stop him from bleeding out anymore. That carried him out of harm and into safety. Was he safe?

Donghyuck brought himself back down into the room and to the voices that mumbled around him. They seemed angry now and he tuned in, trying to keep his body still and his breathing steady.

"My son was shot at and you expect me to just stand here while you tell me that you can't find out who? His life was put in danger! Are you that bad at your job?"

"Ms. Lee please calm down," that familiar soft voice said and Donghyuck opened his eyes, blinking rapidly as his vision came back to him. He made out soft brown hair and glasses and smiled softly as one of his best friends came into view. Donghyuck then turned his attention to the rest of the room, no one noticing the waking boy.

Jisung was holding his hand as he sat in an extra chair next to Donghyuck's bed. He was apparently pleading with his mom to stop harassing the doctor and police officer by the door. Jeno was sitting with Jaemin on the other side of his bed.

Donghyuck rolled his eyes at his dramatic mother, deciding he should probably break this fight up before his mom got arrested. He let out a cough and shifted to sit up on the bed, drawing the immediate attention of everyone in the room.

"Hyuck!" Jisung cried out and threw himself onto the older, causing Donghyuck to wince as the younger pressed against his leg.

"Jisung!" Donghyuck called out playfully, trying to move him off of his leg that was really starting to hurt at the unwanted pressure.

"Donghyuck, sweetie, how are you feeling?" His mother was now hovering over him, leaving the two officials in the doorway, pressing a cold hand against his forehead. He shifted away from his mother's ice cold hand and nodded, giving her a reassuring smile.

"I'm fine, I'm sure this was part of my character arc," he teased causing laughter to break out in the room.

"Well I'm glad you're doing okay, Donghyuck? Is it?" The doctor and police officer came closer, the police officer continuing when Donghyuck nodded in response, "It seems you were a bystander in a drive-by shooting, most likely between two rival gangs in the area, but rest assured that they weren't after you. You're perfectly safe now."

Donghyuck hesitantly nodded his head. Something felt off. The police officer's eyes were shaking and Donghyuck certainly didn't fail to notice his frantic glances around the room, or the slight tremor in his voice. He could be a pretty observant person when he wanted to be. Completely unrelated, he was fantastic at science and reading people.