Chapter 5

(Faith's P.O.V)

I walked 5 long blocks to my best friend, Tori's apartment. She doesn't live in the greatest of neighborhoods, neither do I, but we do what we can.

I had no money so I couldn't take the bus. I really hope she's home...

I rang her buzzer and a few seconds went by with no answer. I tried again and thankfully it opened!

"Tori!" I gasped, hugging her.

"Faith, girl how are you?!" She asked me, hugging me tightly. I pulled away from the hug and looked at her.

"I got attacked a week ago with Dylan." I sighed, making her gasp and cover her mouth with her hand. She took my hand and led me inside her building, closing the door.

"Are you guys ok?!" She asked, looking me up and down. "I got robbed and stabbed, but Dylan is ok!" I said.

"Oh my God.." She breathed, touching her heart.

"Listen, I hate coming to you and asking you this but....can I borrow a couple of dollars? I have no power, no food, no nothing." I said, biting my lip.

"How much you need girl?" She asked, leaning against the wall.

"I don't know...just something to hold us, I guess?" I said, running a hand threw my messy hair.

She sighed and scratched her head. "All I have is 500 dollars to my name, and that's the rent money for the landlord.." She sighed, and I looked down.

"But for you and them kids? I'd give you my lung! Girl don't trip over it, I got you." She said, pointing at me.

"Tori, I can't take your last! You're struggling too." I stated. She gave a snarl and put her hands in her back pocket.

"We struggle together." She smiled, and I took a breathe of relief. I hugged her tightly and she let out a laugh. "Girl imma pay you back! I don't know how, but I will. Promise!" I swore to her.

"I only got 20 dollars right now. The rest is in the bank and I can't get that until tomorrow." She apologized.

"It doesn't matter, that's fine." I assured her. She reached into her back pocket and handed me the 20 dollars.

"Did you walk over here?" She asked, and I nodded yes. "Girl are you crazy?! You know what, I'm driving you back to your apartment." She sassed, pointing at me.

I laughed as she went to go get her car keys. I hate to take her last! I hate asking or taking things from people in general! My momma always taught me to have my own shit and depend on nobody.

About a minute or two went by and Tori returned, jiggling her keys in the air. "You ready to go to the store?" She asked me.

"Sure." I replied, as we both walked out the main door and traveled all the way to the parking lot. Her car was pretty busted but it got her around town. It was an old four door, green Toyota. We strapped ourselves in and she drove down to a little neighborhood store called Joe's Market.

She waited in the car while I bought what 20 dollars would give me. I didn't wanna be in here long because I didn't wanna keep her waiting.

I bought 1 can of formula, some 99 cent microwave pizzas, a gallon of water, and a few other things for the boys. I needed stuff too, but I decided to wait because the boys needed stuff more.

Once I finally checked out and everything, I went back to the car to see Tori blasting the radio and singing. I laughed and put the bags in the backseat, then hopped in the passenger side.