Chapter 5: Mandatory Mingling

The ceiling, Taehyung decided, is very interesting. So interesting that I don't really feel like getting out of bed.

He turned over and buried his face in his pillow. Then he waited for sleep to overtake him. It didn't.

He could hear Yoongi's breath as he slept. In other parts of the dorm people were moving about. Outside a bird chirped. Loudly.

Taehyung pulled his comforter up, blocking his ears, but then his feet weren't covered. So he curled up under the blanket, but then it was hard to breathe. With an exclamation of annoyance Taehyung abandoned his attempts of sleep and got up. When he was finished dressing he turned around to find Yoongi glaring daggers at him. Taehyung quickly exited the room, where he found Jin, Namjoon, and Hoseok in the kitchen. "Good morning."

Jin pointed a spatula at the counter where Namjoon and Hoseok sat. "Sit. We're having breakfast together, as a part of MM."

"MM?"

"Mandatory Mingling. Since we don't always see each other everyday, we're going to have a compulsory group breakfast since everyone will be in this morning." Namjoon explained.

"And our wonderful Jin is cooking for us!" Hoseok smiled brightly.

"You haven't even met Jungkook yet, have you?" asked Jin.

"Oh! Actually, I have." Taehyung said. "I guess I never mentioned it to you. I met him Tuesday night. We played games together."

The others exchanged glances. "You played games? With Jungkook?"

"Yeah, why?"

Jin sighed. "Jungkook doesn't really do stuff like that much. Every time we invite him he makes an excuse and goes to his room."

"Well, he did say something about it being really late, but I wasn't really listening." Taehyung shrugged and sat down.

"Maybe you really are what Jungkook needs." Namjoon smiled brightly. It was a relief to him to hear of Jungkook being social.

"So how did you sleep, Taehyung?" Jin, busy at the stove, asked over his shoulder.

"Well, I could have slept better. I think my mind wanted to be awake and my body wanted to be asleep. What about you?"

"Hoseok was making noises in his sleep. It was annoying!"

Hoseok frowned at Jin. "I can't help it if I have dreams."

Namjoon leaned forward to break the two up. "I slept pretty well, but I heard Yoongi shuffling around in the middle of the night."

"Really? Why was he up?" Jin asked.

Just then Yoongi stumbled into the living room, eyes blurry and still in his pajamas. "What's up?" He asked.

The members averted their eyes. Hoseok covered his mouth with his hand to hide his smile and Jin turned back to the stove, quickly. Only Taehyung and Namjoon managed straight faces. "Nothing."

But Yoongi, either too sleepy to notice their behaviour or too distanced to care, just walked to the sofa where he plopped himself down. "What's going on? Why's everyone out here?"

"Mandatory Mingling."

Yoongi blinked, considered this, then made to rise, mumbling something about going back to bed, but Namjoon stopped him.

"No you don't. What part of mandatory did you not get?"

Yoongi stared up at him. "I just heard mingling. As in socializing–"

"Exactly!" Hoseok interrupted before Yoongi could say anything else. "Which means talking and eating breakfast with all of us!"

"Speaking of which, I should go get Jungkook." Namjoon said.

As the others talked he slipped down the hall and knocked on Jungkook's door. "Group breakfast, Jungkook!" He called softly. There was no response, so he tried again. "Jungkook?"

After a moment's hesitation, he opened the door. The blinds were closed and it took Namjoon a moment to get accustomed to the dark. When he did he found Jungkook sprawled across his bed with earphones plugged in. It was so rare to find Jungkook sleeping in that Namjoon couldn't help but smile softly. He sat down on the bed and gently shook Jungkook's shoulder.

"Go away." Jungkook mumbled, burrowing into his blankets.

"Ah, Jungkook, but I have to wake you up." Namjoon knocked gently on Jungkook's forehead. "We're all waiting for you."

Deep from the blankets came a sleepy slur. "Leave me alone, Namjoon hyung."

Namjoon started in surprise. Jungkook never called any of the members by name when he could avoid it. Nor did he call them by such a familiar term. His smile widened.

"But Taehyung's waiting for you. What do you want me to tell Taehyung?"

Jungkook turned to cast bleary eyes on Namjoon. "Tell him," he said carefully, "That he can rot in hell." Then he dived under a pillow.

Namjoon chuckled and made to leave. "Ok, I'll go tell everyone that you don't like us and want us all to die."

Jungkook mumbled something in reply before the words reached his ear. He sat bolt upright. "What? Did I say that?"

Namjoon chuckled again. "Don't worry, I won't really tell them that. But get up soon. Jin's cooking for everyone. We're having a compulsory BTS morning."

Jungkook's eyebrow's knit. "Like a family game night?"

"Kind of. We're calling it Mandatory Mingling. You know, being socially awkward together to promote our group dynamics."

Jungkook took a moment to process this. "Yeah, so exactly like a family game night."

Namjoon just chuckled and closed the door.

Good morning everyone! Or good night. Or good evening. Or good day. Whatever time it is, may it be a good one.

I'm sorry for the awkward ending to this section. I know it seems like this story isn't going anywhere, but I'm having a lot of fun playing around with the characters so please pardon my lack of direction. I'll be introducing Jimin soon, and then the story will take on a little more shape.

Thanks for reading! -Laika