Chapter Three

Clover stared outside of the window and smiled. While this wasn't the plan she had for her life, God's plan was always better. She didn't know how she was going to handle everything, but taking it day by day was a start.

Kane watched Clover as she thought. Her pensive look was endearing and quite adorable. Her face began to scrunch up, and Kane couldn't help but chuckle.

His laughter seemed to pull Clover away from her thoughts. "What's so funny?" She tried to sound intimidating, but to Kane, she sounded like a little kid.

"Your thinkin face, darlin," Clover blushed and folded her arms over her chest.

"What do you mean? I think my thinking face is quite serious," Clover didn't like being teased very much, but she knew that Kane wasn't a rude person.

Kane walked over to the table Clover was sitting at and held her hand. "Does this look serious to ya?" He asked and then mocked her facial expression.

A fit of laughter erupted from Clover as she watched Kane. He was a silly man. "O-okay," She said in between breaths. "You're right. But I never have anyone watching me, so I don't feel the need to look normal."

Kane scoffed and began to rub the back of her hand, his finger rubbing against her wedding band. "No need to worry about that pretty face of yours. However you decide to look, I'll still stare in awe."

Clover didn't like how much Kane made her blush. He was too charming, and handsome. Very handsome.

"I need to know somethin, well actually, I need to tell you somethin." Kane wanted to clarify everything that was on his mind. He didn't want Clover to be confused.

"It ain't nothin bad. Well depends on how you feel," Clover nodded and listened. "I don't know your stance on this marriage, but I know mine. While I wouldn't have married you so soon, I definitely would've asked you out the day after we met, if my father wouldn't have told me about this arrangement." Kane's brows furrowed as he spoke, a sign of his dedication to their conversation.

Clover was shocked at Kane's confession. She didn't think he was actually interested in her, even if he seemed different than regular New York men.

"You've intrigued me, darlin, and I plan on takin advantage of the time we have together. But, I want to pursue you the right way. I want to win your heart over, and fall in love with you." Kane was honest with Clover. He didn't plan on being sheepish or hesitant with his wife. While he'd remain a gentleman in his actions, he would not play the role of a passive pansy. He wanted to have a true relationship with Clover, and he was going to get it.

Clover couldn't believe her ears. While she knew that they had chemistry, she wasn't going to jump ahead and assume that he actually felt more than something sexual for her.

"You look confused. Please tell me what's on your mind so I can fix it," Kane didn't want Clover to second guess his intentions, he wanted her to know everything.

Clover cocked her head and wrinkled her nose. "We only met once before the wedding, a-and you don't even know much about me." Rubbing her palm on her face, Clover sighed. "How can you know that you want to be with me? H-how do I know that your decision isn't based only on physical attraction?" Clover didn't want to be used, not ever. She needed to know the truth.

Kane was glad that Clover asked questions. He liked her urgency to be informed, and not taken advantage of. "You're right, Clover. But, I do know this about you." Kane held her left hand again and gave her a reassuring smile. "You agreed to marry someone you didn't know, just for the sake of makin a dying woman's last wish come true." Kane paused on that note.