Prologue

Note: The prologue is basically just the last scene from the finale and then i start writing about the reunion (so it's very short)

"I will go this way," Wei WuXian points ahead of him, smiling while facing Lan WangJi.

"And I will go this way," Lan WangJi points in front of him again. They gaze at one another for a while longer, unspoken feelings hovering in the air between them.

"Lan Zhan, I will get going now," Wei WuXian nods once and starts walking, holding tightly onto the harness of Little Apple, his donkey. Lan WangJi exchanges the nod and walks as well, the two going their separate ways. As Lan WangJi walks further away, he could hear the sound of a flute, playing their song. Wei Ying's words echo in his mind. When we see each other again...you better have a name for this song.

I've already thought of a name. Lan WangJi thought, repressing a smile as he continued to walk. A part of him did not want to go. He did not want to separate from Wei Ying after going through 16 years without him. Yet at the same time, he had a goal: to handle the role of Xiandu properly and calm things down in the cultivation world in order to protect Wei Ying. His other goal was almost out of the norm: to break Wei Ying's heart enough for him to realize his feelings for him. Perhaps in due time, he will. Wait for me, Wei Ying. I will come find you.

1 year later

Wei WuXian stands near the mountainside, lips pressed to ChenQing, eyes closed in concentration as he played the song that Lan WangJi had written for him. As the notes echo around him and bring a sense of calm over his body, he hears a voice behind him.

"Wei Ying."

Wei WuXian pauses, his entire body suddenly tensing up with excitement. Slowly he puts down ChenQing at his side, almost afraid to turn around. Was he just hearing things? Could he really be here standing behind me? Wei WuXian finally turns around and he sees him. Looking as noble and beautiful as ever in bright white robes. The light blue headband upon his forehead. Bichen in one hand. Wei WuXian smiles, a flood of warmth and happiness flowing through his body. The most he had ever felt ever since he started traveling.

"Lan Zhan...," his voice almost falters as if he was too shocked to get it out. "It's you."

Lan WangJi responds with a "mn" followed by a nod. Wei WuXian swallows, almost trying to keep his excitement back. He had not felt this way in a long time, it was almost unfamiliar to him. There was happiness along with something else, something that had slowly begun to surface over the years since he and Lan WangJi had parted ways. After traveling north for so long, he finally came back south and lingered near the mountain at the foot of Qinghe territory. And unexpected Lan WangJi had found him there. His smile grows wider as Lan WangJi holds out something in this hand: Emperor's smile. Wei WuXian takes it in a delight.

"Will you come back to Gusu with me?" Lan WangJi finally breaks the silence. Wei WuXian looks up, the question feeling familiar to him. Though the last time, he had answered with coldness, this time was different. Going back there after so many years was almost relieving to him. He nods and walks with Lan WangJi, pulling along Little Apple.