Chapter 27: Peace

Wei WuXian stirs back awake. His head is pounding, but he squints around the room. Lan Wangji is leaning over him.

"Wei Ying," He breathes. "You're awake!" Jiang Cheng's face appears next to him.

"Yes," Wei WuXian murmurs in reply. "My head hurts...but I think everything is alright now." He sits up slowly with Lan Wangji supporting him with his arms.

"Your sword and flute were glowing earlier," Lan Wangji tells him.

"It's a good thing," Wei WuXian tells him. "I feel different after that journey."

"In a good way?"

Wei WuXian nods. "Feel my core." He extends a wrist to Lan Wangji who takes it, feeling his pulse.

"Your spiritual energy is stronger."

"Yes, I can feel that my core is stronger. Though, it will get even stronger after I actually start using Suibian."

"You won't have to use that terrible sword of yours anymore. Does that mean we can have a real sword duel?" Jiang Cheng has a teasing hint to his voice.

"As if," Wei WuXian rolls his eyes. "You still have years more experience than me. It won't be fair."

"You're saying you won't be up for a challenge?" At this, Wei WuXian smirks.

"Fine, but you better not go easy on me."

"You wish! But first," Jiang Cheng fixes him with a firm glare. "You still need to rest."

"Didn't I just do that?" Wei WuXian says in an exasperated voice.

"Rest," Lan Wangji tells him.

"Fine, but only if Lan-Er gege rests with me," He grins.

"Mn."

"You two really got to be mushy after every reunion huh," Jiang Cheng huffs, but there's affection in his voice. Jiang Cheng leaves Wei WuXian to rest and goes to his own room to sit down. Jin Yinmu's words at him before he had left still flash through his mind.

"If you were willing to raise your sword against your brother that night in Nightless City, what makes you think you wouldn't have done it if our plan had succeeded?"

Jiang Cheng had flinched as if he had been slapped. He had never meant to. He had never expected Wei WuXian to rip his hand away from Lan Wangji's grip.

"Was your plan ever about taking over the Jin Clan? Or was it about revenge?" He spat back. Jin Yinmu only sneers at him.

"Caught on fast, did you? We wouldn't need to go this far simply for throwing Jin Ling off his high horse. Of course it was about revenge! Our family was torn apart all because his uncle framed us for his little plan to gain power. What is wrong with us doing something similar? Tearing apart the only family Jin Ling had. It would have broken him to the point where he could no longer hold his position."

"You!" Jiang Cheng takes a threatening step towards him, but Jin Yinmu holds his gaze steady.

"The 'Fu Chou' would have done its work. Filled your mind with thoughts of revenge just like it did for me....but of course your work would have been done much faster."

"No," Jiang Cheng's voice was steady. "Wei WuXian would never hurt Jin Ling, not deliberately. His sister's son..he cared for him and protected him countless times. Also, you didn't stop to think. The sword was attacking everyone, including Lan Wangji and his son. I knew something was wrong."