Chapter 6: Regrets and Promises

Three days after the incident, Lan Wangji was the first to wake up that morning in Cloud Recesses. His knees were aching after he had ended up falling asleep at Wei WuXian's bedside, not wanting to disturb the injured man by pushing him towards the inner side of the bed. Wei WuXian was sleeping peacefully, his face relaxed and free of pain.

"Wei Ying," Lan Wangji says softly. He knew he should let him rest more, but his heart was aching for a response from the man he loved so much. When he hears no response, he turns to walk over to his guqin when suddenly he hears someone calling him.

"L-Lan Zhan...," He immediately turns back around, his heart racing. Wei WuXian was slowly stirring awake, his eyes squinting against the bright morning light.

"Wei Ying, you're awake," Lan Wangji moves to help him sit up in the bed.

"H-how long was I asleep?" Wei WuXian asks sleepily, wincing slightly from his wound.

"Three days. The medicine the doctor prescribed helps to regain spiritual energy and strengthen your golden core so your wounds would heal quicker. It seems to be efficient." Lan Wangji says as he observes the dressing of the arrow wound. There was a light knock at the door and then a voice.

"H-Hanguang-jun...I'm sorry to disturb you so early but...I-I just wanted to see him," It was Jin Ling. He had been coming every morning since the incident to check if Wei WuXian was awake.

"Jin Ling?" Wei WuXian asks, straightening up in bed. Lan Wangji stands up and goes to open the door. The young clan leader looked slightly disheveled and exhausted, but there was determination in his eyes. Sizhui was standing behind him, his head peeking anxiously into the room.

"He is awake today. Come in," Lan Wangji says, welcoming the two young men into the room. They hurry in, almost tripping over one another. Sizhui quickly runs around to squeeze his father quickly in a hug, but quickly pulls away after remembering that he was wounded.

"Baba! You're finally awake.We were so worried," Sizhui sounds relieved and cheerful now that his father was awake.

"Don't worry, A-Yuan. A small wound like this is nothing. I'm the infamous Yiling Patriarch, remember?" Wei WuXian ruffles the boy's hair playfully.

"That's what Jin Ling told me," Sizhui says sheepishly. "But I can't help but still worry." Wei WuXian then notices Jin Ling standing quietly in the room.

"A-ling, come here. Why are you just standing there?" he gestures his nephew over.

"U-uncle, I'm sorry. You got hurt because of me," Noticing that Jin Ling was about to tear up, Sizhui and Lan Wangji quietly slipped away to give them privacy, closing the door behind him.

"Jin Ling...it's not your fault." Wei WuXian tells him, swinging his legs over the bed and pulling the young clan leader's hands over. "I wanted to protect you, okay? You're my only nephew and you're my family." Jin Ling starts crying.

"I...don't want my family to get hurt! I only have you and Uncle Jiang as family! I- I don't want to lose another family member!" Jin Ling sobs. Wei WuXian blinks in surprise at being referred to as 'family.' Jin Ling was already beginning to address him as 'uncle', but he thought it had just been a slip of a tongue.

"A-and I k-know I'm over two years late b-but, I'm sorry for stabbing you too...I just-," he breaks off as his crying intenses.

For so long, the only family he ever had was Uncle Jiang and Uncle Yao. Now that Uncle Yao was dead, he only had Uncle Jiang again. And despite having Sizhui, Jingyi and Ouyang Zizhen as his best friends, he still felt lonely. His cousins had never cared for him and teased him about being motherless. After meeting Wei WuXian, who he thought was Mo XuanYu at the time, he felt like he had another family member with him. Mo XuanYu was already blood related to him of course, but the real Mo XuanYu had acted like a crazy lunatic, not a caring adult. Once he figured out who Wei WuXian really was, he had felt angry, wanting to take revenge, but also rejoiced at the chance of having another family member in his life. He felt this joy even more after Wei WuXian was revealed not to have been behind his parents' death.