Chapter 2: An Unexpected visitor

By the time Wei WuXian woke up, Lan WangJi was already tidying up the cave and preparing supplies for the rest of the journey. It was already early afternoon, judging by the sun in the sky. Wei WuXian laughs to himself. Lan Zhan knows I do not wake up early. How patient he is. Wei WuXian stands, folding the blanket that Lan WangJi had left for him and placing it into the bag. The rest of the journey took a few hours and after making several stops in nearby villages for food and rest, they reached Qiting tavern at Yueyang City

"I'd never thought that we'd end up here again," Wei WuXian laughs. "It seems almost as if our destinies are tied to it."

"Mn," was Lan WangJi's response.

"It still seems early, but perhaps it's better to rest. Continue to catch up on things." Wei WuXian leaves Little Apple in the back stables and pulls Lan WangJi into the tavern before he could respond. As always, Wei WuXian orders his liquor while Lan WangJi asks for hot tea.

"I should mention...Jin Ling is the clan leader now." Wei WuXian nearly chokes and spits out his liquor at those words.

"But h-how? He's so young...only seventeen now," Wei WuXian sputters

"Was Jiang Cheng not around that age when he became the leader of the Jiang Clan?

"He was but..Jin Ling...that rascal. I can't imagine him leading an entire clan," Wei WuXian shakes his head, thinking of his nephew. He goes quiet again, thinking about the last time he had seen him. There had barely been time for goodbye or last exchanges. He remembered grabbing Jin Ling after Jin Guangyao released him from holding him hostage, Wen Ning stopping the blade from hitting him as he attempted to regain control of himself after being possessed by the blade spirit. Once the temple collapsed and everyone made it safely outside, the last Wei WuXian had seen Jin Ling was him running over to his dog Fairy. After Little Apple arrived, not wanting to linger near the dog any longer, Wei WuXian had grabbed Lan WangJi and hurried out of there.

"Clan Leader Jiang goes there often to help him with paperwork and scrolls. It's a lot of burden for a teenager like Jin Ling." Lan WangJi says.

"So Jiang Cheng...he helps Jin Ling, leads the Jiang Clan and has time to visit Zewu-jun? Aiya, what has changed since I've last been here?" Wei WuXian shakes his head. He had finished the first pot of wine and was reaching for his second one when the sound of a dog barking made him drop it back onto the table. Immediately, Wei WuXian ducks his head behind Lan WangJi's back.

"Fairy! Can't you shut up for once?" A loud shout came from outside the tavern.

"Fairy, NO!". A young man, looking no younger than 18 is yanked into the tavern by a chubby dog with silverish gray fur. Wei WuXian peeks from behind Lan WangJi to see him. The young man was wearing the usual yellow color of the Jin Clan cultivators, except his clothes were more extravagant from the last outfit Wei WuXian had seen him in.

"Jin Ling?" Wei WuXian finally sits back into a proper position, though he keeps a wary eye on the dog.

"Wei....Wu Xian?" Jin Ling stares at him in shock. He turns to one of the Jin cultivators behind him and hands him Fairy's leash, telling him to take care of her. He nods and leaves the tavern with the dog.

"Xiandu", Jin Ling bows in respect, and Lan WangJi stands and does the same. Wei WuXian stands and greets Clan Leader Jin as well.

"Wei WuXian, what are you doing here? You haven't been seen for nearly two years. We thought something had happened again?" As usual, Jin Ling's tone was sassy, though there was subtle hints of confusion and curiosity in his voice as well.

"Clan Leader Jin, if you have time, please sit and we can discuss." Wei WuXian gestures to the empty seat across from him. Jin Ling obliges and pours himself a cup of tea.