Chapter 8: A Day in Town

A month later, Wei WuXian had long recovered from his injuries and took the liberty to wander around Cloud Recesses. As he heads towards the Back Hill, he hears the sound of laughing and shouting. Curious, he heads towards the noise and sees Jin Ling, Jingyi and Sizhui playing near the Cold Pond. Wei WuXian watches as Jingyi reaches his hands into the water and splashes it in Jin Ling's face.

"You!" Jin Ling sputters, spitting out water. He launches himself at the Lan Disciple, pushing him backwards into the water.

"How dare you!" Jingyi grabs Jin Ling's robes and pulls hard. The Jin Clan Leader stumbles and falls into the pond as well.

"Lan Jingyi, how dare you! I am a clan leader. You are so going to get it!" Jin Ling says through gritted teeth, but he was smiling.

"Oh I'm so sorry, all powerful Jin Clan Leader." Jingyi jeers. Jin Ling sprays water at him again.

"It's not me you should be scared of! What would Grandmaster think if he knew you disrespected a clan leader by splashing water in his face?" At the mention of Grandmaster, Jingyi's face turns pale and Jin Ling only takes this as an opportunity to splash him again, but this time Jingyi misses and the water splashes on Sizhui instead who is busy playing with a bunny on his lap and had been watching the two play with amusement. Jin Ling freezes as Sizhui stares in shock, water dripping from his face. Then he stands up and rushes into the water, creating a huge splash that hits both Jin Ling and Jingyi. Wei WuXian watches with amusement as the three continue to play in the water until he starts walking towards them. Seeing him approach, the three stand up hastily, squeezing the water from their soaked clothes.

"Senior Wei!"

"Xian-baba!"

"Uncle!"

Jin Ling and Jiang Cheng had left a few weeks ago, with Jin Ling being sent back to Lanling to deal with clan leader duties. However, two days ago, Jin Ling had returned, surprising everyone when he insisted that he was here to attend a lecture. Wei WuXian found it hard to believe and had a feeling Jin Ling had gotten into an argument with his uncle and that it had to do with him.

Jingyi and Sizhui duck their heads sheepishly, as if expecting Wei WuXian to scold them while Jin Ling stands there defiantly with his arms crossed.

"Have fun, you three?" Wei WuXian chuckles.

"Jingyi started it, Uncle Wei!" Jin Ling says defensively.

"Did he now?" Wei WuXian pretends to look stern as he looks towards the Lan disciple.

"Please don't tell Grandmaster! Or Hanguang-jun!" Jingyi begs. "I don't want to be alone in the Library copying out the rules again."
"You don't have to be alone. I'll send all three of you. You will be cleaning the chicken coop. " Wei WuXian turns to see Lan Wangji walking towards them with an expressionless face. "That includes you too, Clan Leader Jin. Don't think you are under exemption simply for being a clan leader. You are still obligated to oblige by the rules of Cloud Recesses as long as you are attending lecture here." Lan Wangji adds as Jin Ling opens his mouth to protest. The three of them bow and sheepishly walk off towards the Library.

"Ah, Lan Zhan! You really have no mercy on them, don't you?" Wei WuXian pouts. "Jin Ling is gonna get scolded by Jiang Cheng later too.

"Wei Ying. There's something I forgot to ask you."

"What is it, Lan Zhan?"

"Have you told your brother about our engagement?"

"I..no..I didn't get the chance to." Wei WuXian mumbles. "I want him to attend the wedding of course...if you're okay with that."