His or My High Horse

Chapter 8

Week two of working with my staff as left every part my body cover in bruises. I couldn't tell where the black and blue end with one bruise and where another bruise began. I wish I had at least inherited the werewolf healing gene. It takes only a few hours to a few weeks depending on the injury the wolf would receive for them to heal. My body taking days to heal as any human would. I started wearing long sleeves under armor shirts and long leg yoga pants to cover the bruises. The disgusted looks or wince looks I receive from others walking home from practice or to get food made me feel insecure.

"Why have you been hiding from your unit," mom asked coming down with her staff. I raise to meet with her staff. Each day she pushes her true strength more on me. She refuses to let me have it easy because I'm human. In the last few days, she has been using her werewolf strength more. Each day I block a little bit more of her attacks.

"I don't," I snapped through my teeth. I can barely focus on the fact she said something then on what she said. Is she barely using her strength so much she hold a conversation? I block her staff and spin to go low to her hip. She blocks lows. No surprise there.

"Why do you not breakfast with anyone or only eat with Kate at lunch? You only eat supper with your dad and me. Why are you refusing to connect with the pack," she asked. Slamming her stick into mine and forcing a blunt attack to my stomach. I jump to the side. Her staff rams into the side of my rib cage. A week ago I would still be taking that attack in the stomach. The attack usually made me feel throw up my last meal every time. I lost track of how many times she hit me or worn me out until it made me puke from exhaustion.

"Do we have to talk about this now," I snapped ramming my stick into her side. She winces and blocks the rest of the attack.

"Break," she shouted declaring the match off. A common word to end any type of training off among the wolf matches. "You said you would try to give this pack one more shot," she reminded me of my words. I walked away grabbing my towel dapping the sweat off my face. I grab my water bottle and drown myself in water. I didn't stop drinking until I felt refresh.

"I came back for you, dad, and Sam. The pack either ignores me or doesn't want me here. Why don't you guys see that" I asked?

Before the training started I'm in the unit's common area for breakfast with the girls. Kate tried to lead the conversation for a few days to get everyone more comfortable with me being there. I would try to ask questions to get to know them. I received a lot of yes or no questions ending further conversations. They show no interest in getting to know me. Eventually, the girls stop showing up to breakfast and I could tell Kate hating they are bailing on us because of me. I started to tell Kate breakfast made my stomach nauseous before training and I decide to skip it. The girls the last few days started eating breakfast again as a unit knowing I wouldn't be there. That stung quite a bit. Their bond made me miss the tight net of girls at college we would eat every meal with each other. Kate made up the time at lunch with me and I would only get stares from other pack members as we ate. Nothing said fun being looked as you're an outcast as I try to eat lunch with my friend. Supper I ate with my parents and Sam would sometimes join us. No one outside mom and dad would talk to me or a pack member would ignore me and only talk to them.

"You need to get them to notice you," she snapped.

"Oh, they notice me. They just not want me near me, "I snapped back hating this conversation. It as if I'm a child again. I'm not trying hard enough to get the other pack to talk to me or I need to try bond with the pack better. Mom and dad would tell me these things when it came apart I might not shift. The other kids also notice a lack of me shifting and the bullying became worse.