This Is My Fight

Chapter 9

My hair looked like a bird's nest. The bird's nest had been my attempt for a messy bun. I pulled out the bun and recomb my hair. I decided to go with my signature look. A loose big fresh braids. The braids stopped mid shoulder blade. I inherited my love for long hair from my mom. I wore ripped jeans with hiking boots. The ground is rough terrain and no cute boots would survive the hike. I put on a loose white tank with a heavy off the shoulders gray sweater. Yep, I'm unsure how to dress for pack's bonfire. I never went to one without my parents. This bonfire wasn't family-friendly.

I took a breath and look around to see if I'm missing anything. The boxes from college were piled high to opposite wall off the bed creating a very narrow path from the window to the door. I've still haven't found free time or energy to unpack. My mind feels conflicted about unpacking when it knows I'm only here for a little awhile.

The unit heads down the trail to the old train tracks. The trains were taken out in the 1940s. The old railroad bridge that crosses a deep riven still stood today. That's the location of the bomb fire. The girls' joke about catching a few males' attention. "How are you feeling about the heat is coming up," asked Annabelle.

"I think I'll be taking a male this year," responded Molly smirking. It felt odd to hear them talk about being in heat. Females go into heat generally twice a year. The would go a few days with high intense sexual drives. Mated or not a female could become pregnant during this time. Unmated pregnancy wasn't a huge deal. The packs always enjoy each life brought into this world. Wolves struggle to conceive children because a female could only conceive a child twice a year at the most. It's rare for one to happen outside of heat. I had been one of those rare pregnancies.

Females are still warned about unprotected sexes that could result in a pregnancy. When females start hit shifting age, this all taught to us. I remember the lectures and never took it seriously. Being at school it never dawned on me I could have gone into heat. Mom hinted at it a few times over the phone, but I thought she was talking about unprotected sex. It never occurs to me, I could have gone into heat at school. Well, I guess that proves I'm not having pups because I can't go into heat.

"What about pups," asked Kate looking concern.

"It's my body and I want to feel my urges fill this year. I can't handle only morphine and the ice for the only coping strategies anymore. I need some, dick" she declared.

I smirked at her answered. Night has fallen and I'm having some trouble finding my footing. All other girls had their lovely wolf vision and I'm over trying not to trip in the dark. Why didn't I bring a flashlight? I'm an idiot. I didn't even think about I wouldn't be able to see.

"Do you go into heat, Spence," ask Lissa.

"Nope. I'm pretty much human through and through. The only thing I seem inherited I'm faster runner then average twenty-something girl, "I replied. I'm struggling not to fall on my face flying down the hill. Kate takes my arm and guides me. "Thanks," I mumble. Her help felt like a stab to my ego as the human who needed help among wolves.

"No, prob," she answered.

"Interesting. Did your parents know that when they set up the mate bond with the Elmsberry Pack, " asked Lissa.

"No, and I don't care if they do or not. The mate bond wasn't based on if I could conceive pups but on my skills. I've developed from school to help the new Alpha when he took his new position," I explain with a sharp edge to my voice. My parents didn't raise me to be a pup breeder. They raise me women with useable skills to help benefit the pack.

"What skills can humans provide," she asked sounding unimpressed.

"Tons! We are taught communications. Best to deliver a speech. Psychology is getting inside the mind and learning a way to manipulate a group for better or worse. Sports can be used fighting strategies that can be similar to fighting plans for a pack's flight. Engineering for creating the most sound buildings or structures. It's limitless on what you can learn from school. It's all base on what career the individual is striving for. I took the environment habitat as my major. A habitat is a delicate balance of shelter, food, and water. So many animals habitat relays on other animals' survival habits. I study what happens with certain animal needs aren't met and how it affects other habits," I responded. I didn't know if I should be impressed by what I said or dumb how I sounded.