Chapter 6

Had it been another month? Three months? Tarik no longer knew. He thought of his parents and how they must be worried. He had snuck out that night and his sister had followed.

He was growing a reputation in the arena now. The crowd liked to call him Ra but he felt like Anubis. He understood now how Mara was called what she was.

The longer he stayed here, the more he stopped caring. The animals he killed were just that. Animals. He tried not to see the human beneath.

Tarik had continued to try to win Mara over. She no longer lashed out at him but she didn't speak. She would watch him though; tilt her head when he spoke softly.

He learned the old man, Nikolas, was a centaur. He tended to get the crowd started with non violent entertainment.

Tarik tossed his apple up and down. Mara, in her panther form, watched with apt attention. "So, centaurs…"

"Oh dear." Nikolas gave an exasperated sigh.

"Hear me out old man."

"What question do you have now? You've already asked about how our mares give birth, how we sit in chairs, and if the same food that is toxic to horses is also toxic to us."

"All valid questions." He laughed. Tarik scratched at his growing beard. It was darker than his blonde hair. Maybe that's why they called him Ra. His gryphon feathers were rather golden when sun shone on them.

Nothing like Mara's gold though. Deep and dark. Gold that seemed to flow like a molten river. He loved her eyes.

"If you were to domesticate an animal, what would it be? You have no need for horses. Unless!" He caught the apple as it fell back down. "Do you pull your own carts?"

Nikolas sighed.

"Let me ask you a question. Are all gryphons this nosy?"

"Only the bored ones."

"Im already enough people's entertainment. I have no intention of being yours as well."

Tarik stopped tossing his apple. He waited for the old man to start laughing but he only heard hoof clops and a heavy weight settling on the ground.

"I meant no disrespect."

Nikolas was quiet. Even Mara had turned her head in his direction. "I know kid. I just miss my family."