Chapter 12

His tree branch cracked. His talons tightened their hold and his back claws sunk into the wood. Tarik's heart was racing when his tree branch dipped.

He lifted his wings to take off when a soft purr arrested him. A black panther rubbed up againsg his side, making his feathers stick out in odd directions.

Tarik lifted his wings higher to make room for hers. She purred again, brushing her forehead against his beak. His heart increased for a different reason this time.

He returned her affection. Bumping their heads together. Pulling her closer with his wings.

The branch split. Her slender form flitted to another branch. He was a little bulkier and it took him a moment longer to take flight. Besides, his brain was still a little hazy from the sleep.

Dejected, he watched his bed tumble to the ground. But soon his attention was on the golden eyes watching him. Moon and starlight twinkled through the canopy. Her gold markings reflected the light and danced across the darkness.

He needed to talk to her. But it was hard to turn away. He feared she'd disappear again.

Finding another branch, he shifted into a human, hoping she'd do the same. She followed and effortless shifted. Her wings wrapped around her and then she stood there. Tall and still wearing the dirty clothing from the arena.

He didn't care. He hadn't changed either.

Tarik just wanted to hold her. She smiled at his outstretched hand, taking it and sliding up close. Mara was soft. Her skin was a few shades darker than his own. Her black hair was long and unkempt. Theh both needed baths.

He wanted to shave the hair off his face and cut his braid off. Tarik felt it was signs of his slavery.

"Mara. I'm so glad you came back." He wrapped both arms around her and buried his face into her neck.

She was quiet but he could feel her heart racing. Her hands were tucked between them, under her chin. He leaned back against the trunk and slid down. Tarik cradled Mara in his arms.

"Thank you for your help. If you hadn't brought the centaurs I don't think Nikolas would have made it."

She sat up, sitting across his legs but leaning her forehead against his temple. She brought his braid around and started undoing it.

"He'll be alright. They said."

She nodded.

"Mara." He caught her hands in his to stop her fidgeting. "Where is your home?"

She wouldn't look at him but shrugged her shoulders.

"Mara." He tilted her chin up. His heart plummeted when he saw tears in her eyes.

"Do you not remember?"

She sniffed and opened her mouth as if to speak. Nothing but a growl came out. She roughly grabbed her neck as her sobbing increased.

"Mara." He tried again, softly. "Its okay." Tarik tried to pull her hands away. He didn't want her to hurt herself.

She snarled and tried to speak again. In her frustration she lashed out and he ducked out of the way as her claws sunk into the trunk, slashing it.

Mara jerked away with a gasp, shocked by her own outburst. She stumbled back. He knew she was about to fly away and he couldn't let her.

Tarik quickly caught her before she shifted and pulled her back to him. He wrapped his arms around her. She kicked her legs in and air and growled.

His foot slipped but he regained his balance as he brought them back to the center of the tree. She was sobbing and holding on tight to him.

"You don't have to run from me Mara. I'll hold onto you, no matter what." He pressed his cheek against her hair. "I've got you."

He held her through the night as she sobbed.