Chapter 13

Mara wanted to speak. She kept trying. Even after Tarik had long fallen back asleep.

Why was it so hard? Her human mind had mostly returned to her but she knew the part of her that she let take over while she was there…

It still had a strong influence on her actions.

She took in a deep breath and sat up in Tarik's arms. She was going to do this. Mara was going to speak again.

Just start with a letter. 'M' was really just a hum. She could do that.

"Mmmm." She gasped and slapped a hand over her mouth. The noise startled her. It made her giddy.

She furrowed her brows and focused on the second part of her name.

"Mmmah."

Tarik shifted and tightened his embrace. She smiled and patted his arm. Mara leaned back, resting her head on his shoulder. He was so warm, like the sun.

She studied his side profile. Beautiful golden eyebrows and hair. She wasn't fond of the hair around his mouth though. His cheekbones were high: eyes a little on the small side.

Mara sighed in contentment. She could stay up here forever with him.

Tarik had pulled her out of the darkness, even if he didn't realize it.

She opened her mouth to try and say her name again but then questioned why she wanted to learn the false name. It was a reminder of what she had been forced to do.

Her real name…it was buried with the part of her she couldn't fully remember.

For now she would stick with the one she knew.

"M-mah." She growled. "Mahr."

She gritted her teeth. "Mara."

"Mara."

She huffed.

"Mara."

"Mara?"

Tarik had woken up.

"You spoke." He rubbed at his eyes. "Am I dreaming?"

Tarik yawned. He was trying to get his bearings. This had been the longest night. The sun had to be close to rising.

Mara was shivering in his arms.

"Mara?" He turned her around as best as he could. Tarik blinked the sleepy from his eyes. "Did you just speak?"

She nodded, tears rolling down her cheeks. But she was smiling.

He smiled back. "Can you do it again?" Now that he was fully awake he wanted to hear it.

"T-t." She stuttered and shook her head. "T-tar-ar."

His smiled slipped. The overwhelming urge to kiss her filled him up in that moment. He didn't care if she called him Tar forever. She spoke.

And she was trying to say his name.

"Tar." She growled, frustrated with herself.

"Don't." He cupped her face. "You just spoke!" He let out a breathless laugh. "Mara! You spoke!"

She shyly smiled back, gold eyes twinkling.

His nose brushed against hers. Hot air filled the space between them. Her heart beat was frantic. Or was that his?

Neither of them bridged the gap. Instead he pulled back and kissed her forehead.