Chapter 16 - Epilogue

A few weeks passed. Tarik and Mara continued to sleep in their tree. Nikolas was soon well enough to travel.

The three journeyed together and parted at the sea. Tears were shed and jokes traded.

A promise to see each other again was seared.

Tarik and Mara stayed until they could no longer see his ship. Hand in hand they walked for awhile back into the forest.

"Are you ready?"

She nodded. "Ready." Mara's speech had improved over the weeks. She still stuttered and struggled with some words but they had their dreams together. There she could speak.

He leaned down and kissed her.

"Let's go."

It took awhile, just short of a month, but they began to see Egypt. The pyramids pointed to the sky and a great stone gryphon greeted them. They flew around it, crying out.

Tarik's parents flew up. It was a grand celebration!

They held a small ceremony for Tarik's sister in remembrance and embraced their new family member.

Once settled, and a few months had passed, Mara and Tarik had a bonding ceremony. They both dipped in the waters of blessings.

The pool was hard to get to and required two people to reach. The journey was a testament of their devotion to each other.

That night he showed her his wedding present. A small person forest just for her.

He watched her explore it. She stopped and sniffed one of the flowers. Every once in awhile she would glance back at him.

Gold eyes sparkling.

Tarik looked away for only a moment and she disappeared. He smiled and squinted in the dark, looking for his panther.

He turned just as she pounced, shifting back into him. Tarik hit the ground with a grunt.

"I got tired of waiting for you to do it." She smiled at his raised eyebrows.

Tarik laughed and caught her around the waist, rolling. Right when he was leaning down to kiss her, she tickled his side.

"Aye!" He jerked away but she pursued. Her evil laughter chased him through the forest. "Woman." He caught her hands. "Enough."

"Oh?" She playfully raised her eyebrows. "How will you stop me?" She continued to giggle.

Tarik kissed his beautiful wife's fingertips. Her smiled slipped. Moving her hands to one of his he gently cupped her chin towards his face.

Their first night together was full of laughter and joy. Tarik held Mara close, overcome by the knowledge that he was hers. That she was his. Forever.

Gryphons mated for life and he would have no other. If she wanted to pursue her old life he would go with her. He'd follow this woman to the ends of the earth.

They wanted to stay in their private oasis forever. Just the two of them.

But as time passed, two little pairs of feet pittered around causing a beautiful havoc.

Their life was happy but adventure was never far away and they had a friend to visit.

~*~
Thank you for reading!

I decided to stop here because this was only meant to be a short story but as I wrote it kept expanding in my head.

One day I may come back to these characters: Tarik, Mara, and Nikolas and their families.

For now, this is where their story comes to an end. But, adventure is always right around the corner!