Chapter 9

Tarik waited until dark to break his cell. He transformed his hand and picked the lock. He did the same for Nikolas and then for Mara.

Nikolas was taller than he thought he'd be. His horse half was white speckled with grey. He was still coughing, but now Tarik saw it was blood. There was a nasty bruising against his ribs.

He stopped Tarik from picking Mara's lock at first.

"She won't hurt us."

"Maybe not you."

"Im not leaving her here."

"Alright."

When her door slid open she slowly stepped out. It was like watching a child touch grass for the first time. She was almost as tall as him. He smiled at her.

Her eyes sparkled. She reached up and stroked his cheek, frowning at his beard.

"It'll be the first thing to go." He wasn't sure why he said it. Being this close to her was making him think funny things. His eyes searched her face.

Nikolas cleared his throat, urging them on. But he didn't want to take his eyes off her. He hadn't even reached out to touch her. Tarik feared this was just another dream.

"Alright. You've looked your fill. Let's get out of here." The centaur clopped further down the hall.

Tarik took Mara's hand and pulled her along. He was a little worried that she would transform and take off, never to be seen again. His hand tightened on hers.

Nikolas led the way through the halls and rooms. Catching the guards unaware they were able to move quickly and efficiently through this place.

Any cages they came across they opened and let the creatures out.

Tarik was worried everything was too easy. And he was right.

Standing at the exit was the woman. Its a he had known her buy, never bothering to learn her name.

A forked tongue slipped out of her parted lips. "Going somewhere?"

"Let us go Basilisk." Nikolas stomped his hoof.

Mara's fingers stroked down Tarik's arm as she slipped around the two of them. He reached to snatch for her, to pull her back behind him but she moved just out of reach.

The Basilisk visibly took a step back. Seeing Mara not in a cage was a different perspective. A dangerous one.

The air was charged with tension.

They both transformed and pounced at the same time. The Basilisk filled the door frame and beyond. Mara clawed and bit at her hide. She snarled and slithered back, trying to get away.

Tarik gulped but shifted. With a screech he attacked her face with his talons. She flung them away but they weren't alone anymore. This was one of the only exits and many of the creatures had come this way.

The Basilisk, seeing the odds, slithered away. Everyone fled once she was no longer blocking the exit. Mara and Tarik flew as Nikolas galloped across the vast expanse.

Tarik didnt recognize anything and knew he was far from home.