1.

Geochang Village, 1942

Blood.

That was all I could see in front of me as I watched the King's soldiers terrorise my village with no mercy.

I stood next to my best friend, Hyung-sik, as we hid from the soldiers' view inside a cottage as we peeked through the door with racing breaths.

"We can't stay here, Hyung-sik. We'll get killed", I said as I grabbed a nearby sword, on my way to dash out and attack.

However, he held me back, grasping onto my wrist.

I looked at him as our eyes met.

"If you're going to stop me-"

"I'm coming with you", he said as he grabbed another sword. A smile formed on my lips as we felt the brotherhood in our veins.

If only I knew...

"Go!!", he said and we charged out of the door, slashing our swords at every soldier we saw. With anger in my veins, I slit almost every throat I saw.

At the corner of my eye, I saw a soldier charging at Hyung-sik and I raced to stopped him, swinging my sword right behind him as our swords clang.

With a swift kick, my foot met the soldiers' stomach as I earned a groan of pain from him. Too bad he only had a few seconds of his life left before I sliced his head off.

However, I was slashed by my left calf, making me fall onto my knee as I was tackled onto the ground.

"Tae!!", Hyung-sik cried out as he was fighting back against 5 soldiers at the same time, only to be defeated and pressed onto the ground harshly.

"Argh!! Hyung-sik!!", I struggled under the soldiers' hold as they tied my hands up in a tight knot. I kept struggling but I stopped as Hyung-sik's neck was pressed against a shiny sword.

My wide eyes ran up to the hilt of the sword to the owner of the hand that held it.

The King.

His shiny silver armour covered in my people's blood as he smirked down at me. His sword pressed against my best friend's throat.

My chest heaved as I felt my sweat dripping down my forehead. My breathing hitched as the King grabbed a fistful of my best friend's hair, tilting his head back roughly.

"What bold rebels you are to fight against your own King", he said with an evil smirk on his face.

"What king murders his own people?!", I snapped back as I tried to push back the soldiers that held me down.

With an evil cackle, he swung the sword to me, almost missing my nose as it glisten menacingly in front of my face.

I wasn't afraid of him, or the fucking sword that could eventually stab through my head like a piece of meat.

"Just kill me already, you jerk. I rather die than see your face in front of me right now", I said between gritted teeth as my black hair covered my face. My feet trying to push the weight of metal and flesh on my back.

"Oh, I will, but I won't make it pretty easy for you", he said as he turned the tip of his sword to my best friend who was struggling to break free.

I widened my eyes as the cruel king smirked at me as I was helpless.

"Don't fucking lay a finger on him, or else-"

"Or else what? You're gonna cut my head off? Try me, Kim Taehyung", he said as he grabbed my jaw harshly, making me look at him from under my black hair.