Epilogue

"It's not my fault we ran out of time."

     "Oh, I'm Jesse, and I'm so innocent. I had no idea—"

     "Okay, smartass, staying with me was your idea."

     I reared back, eyes narrowed sharply. "I stayed to help you. Least you could've done is keep track of how long it was going to take."

     "Alright then, correction." He straightened up dramatically. "It's not my fault that I lose track of time when you're around."

     I snorted, but I don't justify his response with an answer. Only because there was a truth behind the joking manner that blossoms a familiar feeling of warmth in my chest.

     But instead of allowing myself to display what I'm feeling where he could see it, I lean forward from where I'm sat cross legged on the hood of his Camaro, my eyes directed down the road for any sign of cars driving by.

     "They should be coming back any time now," I said.

     Jesse was looking down the road, too. At my words, his arms rose to cross over his chest, and he walked back to the car and leaned against the side, right beside where I was sitting. "Anything I should expect?"

     There was a hint of nervousness in his voice that I had to smile at. "You don't have to expect much from Darry. He's just...unhinged."

     "Well, it's a good thing I have experience with that kind of behavior."

     I shot him a look, one that ignited a fit of laughs from him. "You calling me crazy?"

     "I wouldn't exactly call you sane," he countered.

     "What a shame," I said wistfully. "And here I was falling so deeply in love with you."

     The flicker of emotion that crossed Jesse's face was unmistakable, but he retained his playful smile, leaning over the car where I sat. "I'd believe you. Why else would you bring me to have dinner with you and your family?"

     "I would say that you're reaching too far, as always."

     "Am I?"

     We stared at each other, and it wasn't long after that I felt the prickles of electricity spark fire in my veins. I'm reminded of the words I almost said on the pier weeks ago—the same words that I'd almost said countless times for days now. Even today, within the walls of his bedroom, losing track of time as I helped him study for an exam for one of his classes.

     I blinked. "Jess—"

     The sound of screeching breaks sounded, and Jesse and I instantly broke apart, turning to look at the car coasting to a stop on the road.

     All too soon, my older brother burst from the backseat, arms spread out to the sky, head tilted back. "I'm home!" he hollered.

     I glanced uneasily at Jesse.

     "My God, Darren, keep it down," my mom chastised, glancing around as she climbed out of the car.

     "Why should I? I'm the best damn thing to happen to this town."

     My mom looked over to my dad for support, but he was too busy smiling widely at my brother, too amused to care about the attention we were drawing from the neighbors.

     Darry's head lowered back down, his gaze falling onto Jesse and I still staring at him. With a curious look in his eyes, he began to saunter forward with the grace of a newborn horse.