Chapter 12

After four torturous hours in the isolation room, Calum and I were finally led out for our after school detention. The silence in that room was maddening. I was actually grateful to be hearing kids screaming, heavy footsteps and loud chattering.

Calum quickly slipped off to the bathroom and I got placed in one of the science rooms. My face instantly brightened as I noticed a familiar messy haired boy in the corner of the room hunched over stacks of paper flickering from a text book to a writing book.

I casually strolled over to Ashton and leant over his desk. Ashton's eyes snapped up to my face, our lips closer than I predicted. I couldn't help but stare down at them briefly, watching  as his plump, pink, bottom lip disappeared into his mouth as his teeth pinched at it.

I listened as his breathing hitched in his throat and he swallowed nervously. I smirked leaning a little closer brushing our noses slightly.

"Whatcha doing there?" I whispered and Ashton struggled to find his words.

"I..um..I'm just..I need"

I chuckled.

"I'm finishing up some work" Ashton finally managed in a shy voice.

Was I making him nervous? Then again I wasn't sure if it was because he was intimidated by me or there was an actual possibility that he liked me back.

Wait, did I just admit to having a crush?

"I'll leave you to it" I smirked before walking over to another desk.

Ashton stared down at his paper for a while before continuing his work.

My feet were thrown up onto the desk and I pulled out my phone plugging in my headphones. As I scrolled through my music library, I felt a tap on my shoulder.

Ashton was staring down at me with big eyes and holy crap he was too much.

"I want answers, Luke" he said nervously, trying to sound demanding.

I quirked an eyebrow.

"Answers?"

Ashton nodded and knelt down.

"Why did you really beat up those boys, Luke? And why have you been sending me those notes?"

My confident, smug facade suddenly deflated and I wasn't exactly sure what to say.

"I didn't think you deserved what you were put through"

"But why act so extremely?"

"I was angry"

"Why?"

What do I say to this? Because I have a crush on you? Because I think you are the most important human being I have ever laid eyes on and I want to keep you safe?

I couldn't pluck up the courage to admit to either of those.

"You're so full of questions aren't you?"

Ashton shrunk into himself a little.

"Sorry"

"N-No, I'm the one who should be apologising. I didn't mean what I said before you disappeared. I didn't mean to get snappy with you and I am so sorry for sending you away and yelling at you, you really don't deserve any of my shit"

Ashton didn't look back up to my face for a while, appearing to be consumed in thought.

"What about the notes?" he asked quietly and I felt myself blush.

"I like to see you happy" I almost whispered.

"Why do you? No one cares about how I feel"

I took my feet from the desk and placed my legs on either side of Ashton who was still crouched, leaning forward and taking his face in both hands, my thumbs brushing at his cheeks.