Chapter 23

School had sucked big time today. Not for any reason in particular, it had just dragged.

As Ashton and I walked out of the school parking lot, seeing as though I hadn't brought my car and we had walked to school together, with me leaving through his window as Ashton left through the front door, a thought soon came to me and I grabbed his sweater pawed hand.

Ashton peered up at me curiously and I winked before pulling him off of our usual route back to our places. I usually walked him home seeing as though the thought of him being out alone made me nervous.

"Where are we going?" Ashton asked as I pulled him through multiple back streets and alley ways until we reached some old abandoned forestry.

"To find big foot" I joked and Ashton's eyes widened.

"Luke, big foot is located in America" he told me with a frown and I laughed placing a kiss to his temple.

"So gullible"

Ashton pouted as the realisation hit and he slapped me lightly on the arm, me faking a fall.

"MAN DOWN!" I yelled and Ashton giggled at my act.

"Dork" he snorted and I smiled.

"But you like me a lottle"

Ashton eventually rolled his eyes. "Yes, I do"

After a while of walking and Ashton complaining about his shoes getting dirty we soon reached our destination and I pulled Ashton out of the trees and he gasped at the sight.

"Luke" he whispered, his eyes shimmering brightly. "It's beautiful"

Ashton and I stood on the edge of a cliff over looking the beautiful city of sydney. To your left was the town itself, of course right now it was still busy seeing as though it's only 4:30pm and it doesn't start getting dark until 7:00pm.

And when you looked to your right, you were faced with the wide mass of bright blue ocean, glimmering under the sunlight.

"If you think it's beautiful now, just you wait until it gets dark"

Ashton grinned up at me excited.

"Do you come here often?" he asked as I pulled off my jacket and layed it on the ground pulling us both down onto it.

"I used to come out here a lot when my parents would give my brother and I a hard time" I told him and Ashton glanced up at me looking unsure wether to say something or not.

I side eyed him raising an eyebrow.

"Where are your parents? It's just you never speak of them often" Ashton questioned, looking down at his hands looking sorry for bringing it up.

"I left home when I turned seventeen, I haven't seen them since, i'm not sure where they are" I admitted and Ashton didn't look up from his hands but asked another question.

"Can I ask why?"

I could trust Ashton. He was my boyfriend, my everything.

"They were drunks, angry drunks. Either, one of them would get drunk and take it out on the other or they would both get drunk and take it out on Ryan and myself" I said quietly and Ashton's eyes flickered up to me.

"They would abuse you?" He asked, his voice shaky with anger and his hands were now clenched into fists.

"Hey," I took his hands in mine. "None of that matters now, it's in the past and they aren't in my present. You are and things couldn't be more perfect" I tried to soothe him which seemed to work.

It was quiet for a moment, quiet but not awkward and I decided since we were being truthful, I wanted an answer from him.

"Ashton?" I asked.

"Mmm?" he hummed turning from the view to me.

"All those weeks ago when you..when you tried to end your life," I began, eyeing his expression very carefully not wanting to make him uncomfortable. His expression was blank and he blinked at me so I went on.

"Why?" I finished and Ashton sighed.

"It had all been building up for a while I guess. The feeling of not being good enough, of feeling like a faliure, sure my mum is supportive but I don't feel she's exactly sure of how to handle me when I get sad, so she leaves me alone and thinks that that's helping, it doesn't always work like that"

"S-so it wasn't because of what I said to you?" I asked and Ashton frowned.

"Luke of course not, I knew I had kinda put you on the spot, in an awkward situation so that was my fault"

My jaw clenched. "Why do you always blame yourself?" I asked quietly and Ashton stared up at me.

"I was an asshole to you" I whispered feeling tears brimming at my eyes.

Ashton gripped my face between his hands and kissed me gently. "Luke, you could tell me you hated me and wanted me to disappear off of the face of the earth and I still wouldn't love you any less"

I let out a strangled sigh and rolled him over onto his back kissing him roughly holding lightly onto his neck. The pulse under my palm confirmed to me that he was here, he was okay and he was mine.

"I'm so sorry for what I did Ashton. I can't even bear to think of life without you. As long as you're okay. Since the first day I met you, that's all i've ever wanted. Your happieness comes before anything"

Ashton's wide golden green eyes burned into mine and our lips swiftly attached again.

After a while of kissing under the slowly setting sun, Ashton pulled back and nuzzled his forehead to mine.

"Luke?"

I let out a contented sigh and hummed.

Ashton smiled up at me shyly.

"I've changed my mind, I think i'm ready"