Chapter 31

ZARA

"How long do you think they'll be?" I ask Jane while we stare out the window, both arms crossed and watching the rain pelt down on the puddles.

"It's only been ten days."

Yeah, ten days of absolute hell.

Theo left us but I know he has a good reason to. It doesn't make it any easier watching him walk away, knowing how dangerous the whole plan was.

I was angry at him, ignored him when he got ready to leave and panicked when I came back to his stuff gone.

The feeling of being in his arms made me feel whole again.

Did I trust them? No.

Did I believe her plans of getting us out of here? No.

Did I believe Grace when she told me she would return? No.

"Stop overthinking, Zara. He will come back. It's Theo, remember." Her hand rubs my arm, leaving me to stand in my own head.

It's Theo. I remind myself.

I touch the string on my finger, smiling at the memory of him, nervous and doing something I never saw coming.

Why did I mess him around so much?

I have more regret than you could ever imagine, horrid mistakes and I can't do anything to undo them.

Especially Thomas.

How can someone so close to you, be a total stranger?

I'm hurt, but not for reasons people would think, I feel betrayed by his fake friendship.

"I'm going to feed Teddy and get him down for a sleep, go for a walk, clear your head," Jane calls to me from the kitchen.

"Ok, and Jane?" She pops her head out, "thank you, for everything."

She gave me a tight smile, going back to mashing up whatever concoction she's made.

I pull the rain jacket up my arms, three sizes too big on my small frame. Open the door and slowly closing it behind me.

My hair is coated to my face in a matter of seconds, the smearing rain mixed with the harsh wind still isn't enough to calm my worry.

That's when I see them.

Far in the distance, walking down a grassy verge to the fields in front of me.

My dad, urgh.

Grace, holding on to a little boy.

Where is Theo?

Where the fuck is Theo?

My legs move before my brain tells them to, splashing down on the wet ground, hammering my feet harder to pick up speed.

I lose my footing every few strides, hands digging into the mush, pushing myself back up while my feet slid.

"Where is he?" I say, drastically heaving in breaths before my lungs collapse. "Theo... where is he?" I look between the two of them.

"Let's go to the house and talk, Zara, sweetheart." My dad places both hands on my shoulders and tried to move me in the direction of the house.

"Don't fucking touch me." I hit his hands off me, forcefully shoving against his chest, "you don't get to call me that."

I turn to Grace, not caring that she has a sleeping kid on her shoulder. "Where is he? Fucking tell me." I yell.

"He's gone, Zara."