Chapter 11

The Patronus

The next day, Venus found herself surrounded by presents and letters again

The next day, Venus found herself surrounded by presents and letters again. It was her birthday after all. The girl loved spending the day with the Weasleys. While living with Mrs Figg, she never celebrated the day or even received any gifts. With the Weasleys, it was different. Each year that Venus spent her birthday with them, Molly baked the birthday cake herself and the birthday decorations were everywhere. Most of the time, Charlie and Bill were not present due to their work. However, this time, Bill had come as well. The family was overjoyed and to Venus, it had felt like her best birthday ever.

The rest of the holidays were nothing but a blur. Charlie had gone back to Romania after New Year's and soon, the twins, Venus, Ginny and Percy were going back to school for their second term. Back to school was a stress to Venus. She was finally ready to tell the twins about her father, who also happened to be a mass murderer who broke out of Azkaban to kill her and Harry, but was not sure how to approach the subject.

Even so, everyone was happy to be reunited with their friends at school. The twins, Venus and Lee had already started planning their next prank and were in the process of choosing their next victim.

"No George, we are not pranking Professor Lupin."

"But it will be fine. He's so cool with us. He wouldn't get angry. Have you seen him with Peeves? They're like friends! I'm sure he was a prankster, back in his days. Besides you're his favourite student. He won't take your house points if that's what you're worried about," Fred tried to convince her.

Before she could say anything else, Professor Lupin came in the classroom. It was their first DADA class since the start of the new term. He greeted them and a chorus of hello's were heard in response. They were to continue their lessons on the Patronus Charm. Their first lesson on it had been a theoretical one and the second one, practical and yet, nobody had been able to conjure a full corporeal patronus, which was to be expected since the charm was advanced magic. Venus, the twins and a few others had been able to produce a thin white wisp, with which Professor Lupin was quite happy.

"Concentrate harder on your happy memories," Lupin reminded them as he walked around, correcting their wand movements or spelling of the incantation.

Venus realised that all that had happened lately, especially those concerning Sirius Black, had messed up with her concentration. She could not focus on happy enough memories. Taking a deep breath and closing her eyes, she decided to try again. She thought of her first Christmas with the Weasleys. For the first time in her life, she was with people she could call family and those were the people she would do anything to protect.

"Expecto Patronum."

"Blimey! Vee, you did it!" Upon hearing that, Venus slowly opened her eyes to look at the silvery white creature in front of her. It was a fox. It ran around her a few times before running over to the other students, knocking over a few things of the way. Venus was ecstatic. She had been the first in her year to conjure a corporeal patronus and everyone was congratulating her for it.