Chapter 16

Professor Snape

That was how Venus found herself in Snape's office, brushing ashes off her robes

That was how Venus found herself in Snape's office, brushing ashes off her robes. Remus had been against her tagging along with him, but she had managed to convince him that unlike other non Slytherin students, Snape did not actually hate her. She was the best student in her year at Potions after all. Remus had muttered something about Snape not knowing she was a Black before he let the girl come with him.

"Hello Professor. Hello Harry," Venus greeted them before joining Harry's side. She was sure the boy messed up and this was proven when she noticed the Marauder's Map in Snape's hands.

"You called, Severus?" Remus asked.

"I certainly did. I don't remember calling you, Miss Figg," Snape raised an eyebrow at the girl but Remus was quick to explain.

"Venus was in my office. If you must know, she is the best student in her year. We have more important things to talk about. I could not just leave her alone in my office," he said.

"I have just asked Potter to empty his pockets. He was carrying this." Snape showed Remus the Map. The latter's facial expression changed a bit. Venus knew they had a second map but she also knew that this one meant a lot to Remus.

"Well?" Snape enquired. Remus did not reply. He continued to stare at the map.

"Well?," Snape seemed to get more furious with each second, "This parchment is plainly full of Dark Magic. This is supposed to be your area of expertise, Lupin. Where do you imagine Potter got such a thing?"

Remus looked at both the students in the office with a warning look, a silent order not to interrupt.

"Full of Dark Magic?" He asked, "Do you really think so Severus? It looks to me as though it is merely a piece of parchment that insults anybody who tries to read it. Childish, but surely not dangerous? I imagine Harry got it from a joke shop-"

"Indeed?" Snape interrupted him. The man's face was filled with anger, "You think a joke shop could supply him with such a thing? You don't think it is more likely that he got it directly from the manufacturers?"

After hearing her father's stories about his time at Hogwarts, Venus knew that Snape had a grudge against all of the Marauders. She felt as if the man was trying to taunt her uncle.

"You mean from Mr Wormtail or one of these people? Harry do you know any of these men?" Remus asked.

"No," the younger boy replied.

"You see, Severus?" Remus told Snape, "It looks like a Zonko product to me-"

Someone bursting into Snape's office at that exact time cut Remus off. It was Ron, gasping for breath.

"I - gave - Harry - that - stuff," he choked out, "bought - it - in - Zonko's - ages - ago ..." Venus thought the redhead would pass out on the floor, from the way he was clutching his chest and heaving.

"Well," Remus said, clapping his hands cheerfully, "That seems to clear that up! Severus, I'll take this back, shall I?" He took the map from Snape, folded it and tucked it inside his robes, "Harry, Ron, come with me, I need a word about my vampire essay. Venus, we need to finish our talk. Excuse us, Severus."

One look at her uncle's face, and Venus knew she was in trouble. They walked in silence up to the Entrance Hall.

"Professor, I -" Harry started but was interrupted.

"I don't want to hear explanations," Remus said. He looked around and once he was sure it was empty, he lowered his voice and continued, "I happen to know that this map was confiscated by Mr Filch many years ago. Yes, I know it's a map." Harry and Ron looked amazed by the fact while Venus knew that she would be in trouble for having given her cousin the map.

"I don't want to know how it fell into your possession," the Professor continued, glancing briefly at Venus as he said so, "I am, however, astounded that you didn't hand it in. Particularly after what happened the last time a student left information about the castle lying around and I can't let you have it back, Harry."

"Why did Snape think I'd got it from the manufacturers?" The boy in question asked.

Because my father is one of the manufacturers and according to Snape, he wants to kill you.

Venus obviously, did not voice her thoughts out loud. Instead, she stood still, aware that the sun was setting and she had promised her father that she would come back with food before dusk.

"Because," Remus seemed to be hesitating as he talked, "because these manufacturers would have wanted to lure you out of school. They'd think it extremely entertaining."

"Do you know them?" Harry pressed on.

"We've met," Remus said seriously, "Don't expect me to cover up for you again, Harry. I cannot make you take Sirius Black seriously." That statement made Venus wince mentally and the girl immediately turned her attention to the ground.

"But I would have thought that what you heard when the Dementors draw near you would have had more of an effect on you. Your parents gave their lives to keep you alive, Harry. A poor way to repay them - gambling their sacrifice for a bag of magic tricks," Remus said. He turned to Venus and gestured for her to follow him. The girl sent Harry a death glare before following her uncle. She had started regretting ever accepting to give Harry the map. The boy had managed to get caught only a few months after having it. She followed Remus as they got back to his office.

"Uncle Moony-" She had started but was interrupted by Remus, who was furious at her.

"I thought the map was with you! I trusted you enough not to let the map fall into anyone else's hands and you gave it to Harry. That boy is reckless. I thought you were better, but obviously, you are just as reckless! Rose gave her life to protect you, too! Is this really how you want to repay her? What if Sirius had gotten the map instead?"

"I'm sorry," the girl said softly, her voice now a mere whisper. Although the conditions in which she grew up were not great, she was not used to being reprimanded. Venus felt immensely hurt by Remus, who had quickly become someone close to a father figure to her, yelling at her.

"No," Remus placed his hands on the girl's shoulders, having realised that he probably went a bit too far.

"I'm sorry. You and Harry, make me worry for you. Please be careful. I will not always be around to protect you."