Chapter 21

Peter Pettigrew

"Well, hello Peter

"Well, hello Peter. Long time, no see," Remus said, his voice strangely pleasant.

"S-Sirius, R-Remus. My friends, my old friends," Pettigrew squeaked out.

"We've been having a little chat, Peter, about what happened the night Lily and James died. You might have missed the finer points while you were squeaking around down there on the bed- "

"Remus," Pettigrew gasped, although this seemed quite exaggerated to Venus, "you don't believe him, do you? He tried to kill me, Remus."

Venus' jaw twitched. She wanted to hex Pettigrew to oblivion.

"So we've heard. I'd like to clear up one or two little matters with you, Peter, if you'd be so - " Remus started, his voice a bit more hostile this time but Pettigrew interrupted him.

"He's come to try and kill me again! He killed Lily and James and now he's going to kill me too. You've got to help me, Remus."

The man was starting to get on Venus' nerves. She took a look at her father, but the latter's face seemed to be completely blank.

"No one's going to try and kill you until we've sorted a few things out," Remus told Pettigrew.

"Sorted things out? I knew he'd come after me! I knew he'd be back for me! I've been waiting for twelve years!"

"You knew Sirius was going to break out of Azkaban? When nobody has ever done it before?"

"He's got Dark powers the rest of us can only dream of! How else did he get out there? I suppose He Who Must Not Be Named taught him a few tricks!"

Sirius laughed. It was nothing like the times he laughed with her. It was terrible, as if a crazed man was laughing. Pettigrew was sweating. Venus noticed his eyes looking for ways to get out; windows and doors.

"Voldemort, teach me tricks?" Sirius asked and Pettigrew flinched at the Dark Lord's name.

"What, scared to hear your old master's name?" Her father taunted, "I don't blame you, Peter. His lot aren't very happy with you, are they?"

"Don't know... what you mean, Sirius -" Pettigrew seemed scared.

"You haven't been hiding from me for twelve years. You've been hiding from Voldemort's old supporters. I heard things in Azkaban, Peter. They all think you're dead, or you'd have to answer to them. I've heard them screaming all sorts of things in their sleep. Sounds like they think the double-crosser double-crossed them. Voldemort went to the Potters' on your information and Voldemort met his downfall there. And not all his supporters ended in Azkaban, did they? There are still plenty out there, biding their time, pretending they've seen the error of their ways. If they ever got wind that you were still alive, Peter -"