Chapter 1

I sat next to Paige with Carly in front of us at the picnic table we claimed as our own. We're looking through newspapers for apartments or houses in New York City for Carly. Carly is my boyfriend's twin sister and is dating my brother. Paige is her best friend. We're currently on a pit stop on our way to a college football game that Paige's boyfriend, Blake, has been dying to go to.

As for the New York apartment hunting, Carly has an internship there and we're helping her find a place. Her boyfriend and my adopted brother, Wade, hasn't decided if he wants to go yet. I hope he does. I don't want a long distance relationship to crumble. He's my brother. I may have been adopted into his family but his family is the only one I've ever truly known.

"There's a place in Tribeca for $3,000." Paige says, picking up a french fry, dipping it in her ketchup.

" Paige says, picking up a french fry, dipping it in her ketchup

Carly shakes her head. "That's too expensive. The money I have saved up won't cover two months rent. I'm gonna have to work every second I'm not in class until graduation."

"Carly-" Paige starts. "Don't even think about not going."

"You've been working so hard for this." I say, giving her a look.

"I'm not." Carly says.

"Good. Because you know how proud we are of you." Paige says, bumping me.

"It's just an internship." Carly smiles slightly.

"At InStyle Magazine!" I say, excitedly.

"Or would you rather stay at the Waffle House as a waitress forever?" Paige says, smartassly.

"No. Thanks." Carly says, giggling.

I giggle and take a french fry as Wade walks around the picnic table. He ruffles my hair making me huff. He chuckles and sits next to Carly. I eat the french fry as he kisses her head.

"Hey, babe." He says, smiling at her.

"Hi." She smiles and then looks back down at the newspaper.

"Sorry. There were these two drunk rednecks wrestling in the bathroom." Wade says, telling us why he was gone awhile.

"Were you one of them?" I tease him.

He chuckles and shakes his head. "No, Mel. I was not."

I smirk and reach for another french fry when Paige speaks.

"There's no rednecks in New York."

I pause holding the french fry in front of my face as I look over at her. He's been beating himself up after hesitating on whether or not he should move or not, and that was a low blow.

"No." He coughs. "There's not."

There's an awkward silence when Paige starts to stand.

"I'm gonna go see what Blake's doing. He seems to like that car more than me nowadays."