2. Get In

S T E L L A

"The last thing we need at ten in the morning is margaritas, Gracie."

"Don't worry, they're just like you. Virgin."

"That was a low blow."

I am not a day drinker, unlike the two older men that were downing beers while they watched a soccer match on the TV. I was seated on one of the tall, red stools across of my best friend as she was preparing margaritas behind the bar. Gracie saved her money for as long as I could remember and bought the joint as soon as she turned 21. She makes me believe that she came out of the womb, ready to be a bartender. As of this moment, she asked me to be her taste tester because she grew to hate her old margarita recipe and decided that today would be the day to change that.

"Okay so I think the original had way too much lime so have a go at this one." Gracie slid the glass across the counter, watching me as I brought the small glass to my lips.

"I still think there's too much lime." I pucker, sliding the glass back to her.

"I think you're right." She winced as she gulped down the icy mixture. "Batch two will be the definition of refined."

I giggled, relaxing my head in my hands as I observed Gracie in her element. She was older than me by a couple years, as I had only turned 21 this year. We had the same babysitter growing up and she would always be the first one to wake up from nap time to hit my with her pillow. I supposed that we have been best friends ever since.

"I heard Hemmings stopped by your shop the other day." Gracie piped up, adding different liquids into the blender. "How'd that go?"

"He's not so much of the problem, as Calum on the other hand is a goddamn doormat." I groaned, sitting up in my seat. "He just doesn't know how to tell his friends, 'no'."

Gracie stifled a laugh, placing the cover of the blender securely. "Well I meant more like what do you think of Hemmings. He's a dreamboat."

I felt my eyebrows knit together involuntarily, squinting at my blue haired friend as she nudged her shoulder and raised a brow.

"Well he isn't hard on the eyes, but that doesn't declare him a dreamboat by any means." I rebutted before Gracie turned the blender on.

I was not a huge fan of Luke, knowing him solely as a street racer and my older brother's friend. Surely, he had features that turned heads, but that did not hide the fact that he was four years older than me and had one hell of a reputation. Unlike most of the girls I know, I was not attracted to the 'bad boy' archetype, which was unfortunately the only type of guys that suffocated this town. There were men much worse than Luke, but that did not mean he was on my radar.

"Well if you actually came to a race, you'd think he's a catch for sure." Gracie gave me a knowing look, rolling her eyes.

"Yeah because you would just love for Calum to kick my ass." I replied sarcastically, crossing my arms against my chest. "You know how he is about the idea of me going to the races."

"Mikey is taking me to the one tonight. Just tell Cal you're going to sleepover at my place and we could take you with us!" Gracie jumped up excitedly as the older men at the other end of the bar gave her a confused glance. "Luke's racing tonight."

I contemplated, knowing that Calum would buy the half lie, but there would be a chance that he would get word from one of his friends that I was there. I dreaded ever being on my brother's bad side again once we took over the autoshop, as he dragged me through the dirt with insane hours and paperwork the last time he caught me trying to sneak off to a race.