8. My Boyfriend

S T E L L A

"Hello?"

"Stel, it's me."

I rubbed the sleep from my eyes to see an unfamiliar number on the screen of my phone, yet the voice was undeniably the one that makes me quiver in place.

This better not be another dream.

"Luke?" I yawned, my glassy eyes exploring my dark room as I sat up in my bed to see the time. "Jesus Christ, it's two AM. Are you okay?"

"Well that's a loaded question."

It was if I could see Luke chuckling on the other side of the line, the static of the phone muffling the normally melodic sound. His voice sounded deeper through the device, accompanied by the tone of exhaustion. 

"I know you do me a lot of favors but I–"

"What type of favor do you need from me at two in the damn morning, Hemmings? Can this wait–"

"I need you to bail me out."

The line was silent after Luke spoke as I took a moment to look down at my phone in disbelief before putting it up to my ear once again.

I could vaguely recall Luke having a race tonight and I could only assume that their spot got busted. I knew that the racer was bound to get in trouble at some point, but never would I have thought that I would be his bail call.

"Like out of jail? You're fucking kidding me, right?" I sighed, sliding my legs over to the side of my bed to stretch them outward. "Please tell me you're joking."

"I really wish I was, sweetheart. But you're the only person I could call."

The way he easily called me 'sweetheart' was something that could never get old. Although, I ignored the fluttering feeling in the depth of my abdomen to continue my unexpected conversation with Luke.

"Alright I'll be there in twenty. Hang in there, you delinquent." I pressed my phone between my shoulder and my cheek as I sleepily pulled on a pair of socks.

"You're the best, Stel-la-la." Luke managed to shift his groggy voice into a rather sing-song tone, making me grin.

That was cute.

"Wait." I paused, gathering my tired thoughts as I mentally prepared to drive over to the police station. "How do you even know my number?"

"Well, it's a rather long story but I think you'll put it together real soon."

*

If it was not for my blaring music shaking my car, I probably would have fallen asleep at the wheel. I pulled down the bottom of my hoodie to cover over my sleeping shorts as I shoved my car door shut before dragging my feet to the overly-lit police station. Taking a deep breath I pushed open the heavy, glass door to take in the lingering smell of cigarettes and floor cleaner. 

The bleak place was all too familiar and brought back memories I never wanted to resurface.

I swallowed down all of my haunting thoughts and made my way down the short hallway, walking up to a desk set in front of the cell entrance. An older, tired officer was seated in the small office chair, looking startled as I came into his line of sight.

"Hello there." The officer greeted me before looking down at his watch with a narrowing glance. "What can I do for ya?" 

I smiled small, tapping my foot on the floor. The longer I spent in the unit, the more anxious I grew.