Whoops!

Whoops.

The most understated way to say you fucked up.

I guess you could say this word defines my life. My "father"--that word doesn't even describe him--one day knocked up my mother and I became the biggest "whoops!" of her life. After I was born, I "whoops!"-ed though multiple broken arms and legs, accidentally fed the dog chocolate (hey, I was 5), and basically "whoops!"-ed my grades to death.

And what am I doing now?

Let's just say, my life as isn't over yet...

This is a story about the biggest "whoops!" of my life, and how it changed everything.

_______________________________________________

The brisk cool air blew my hair out of my face as I stretched my arms out wide like an gold Olympic swimmer. I smirked at the cheers and cries my few friends yelled. Before the goosebumps could form on my almost nude body, I jumped.

I crashed into the water, the cold needling my skin all at once until I felt completely submerged in the lake water. I stayed there for a little bit till I couldn't hold my breath anymore.

I came up to the surface and whipped my hair back, splashing Gabby and Tom in the face.

"Hey!" Gabby squeaked as she rubbed the water out of her eyes.

I opened my eyes and muttered a breathless "sorry".

"I have to say Ab, that was a pretty epic jump" Tom grinned, swimming over to give me a hi-five.

Our hands clapped together and echoed off the water.

"Ha! I can totally top that!" Eddie laughed mischievously from the bank.

I smirked disbelievingly, "Oh really, Ed?"

"Just watch"

He stepped away from the edge of the rock, pacing back far into the trees and with a huff, he sped off. His feet cracked the dead tree bits till it reached the ledge. He catapulted into the air and soon crashed into murky water, much farther than I had landed.

"Ha! Pawned!" Gabby yelled at me, throwing a fist pump into the air. Tom chuckled at Gabby's outburst.

Suspiciously, I peered into the water where Eddie had submerged into.

All of a sudden Eddie ripped into the calm surface of the water.

"Fuck!" He yelled, causing all three of us to jump back in surprise.

Eddie's face scrunched up in pain as he swam back to the bank.

"What happened?" Tom swam over to Eddie, reaching the shore before him. Realizing this, he lifted Eddie out of the water and onto the ground.

Eddie gripped his ankle.

Automatically I swam back to the shore and picked up my discarded clothes.

"What's wrong?" Gabby yelled, while slowly swimming back as well.

"Broke his ankle on the rocks." I said thinking back on my own experience two summers ago.

"Really?" Tom asked surprisingly, looking at Eddie.

Ed nodded and carefully pulled on his crumpled up shirt.

Trying to beat the cold,  I pulled my clothes over my drenched underwear. By the time I was done, Tom had lifted Ed up and started helping him limp over to his truck.

Gabby, now half dressed, ran back to the truck shirt in hand. I followed after checking back to see if we had forgotten anything. Seeing nothing, we all piled into Tom's truck.