2. Traitor

Fatima's POV

It is the second week of resumption already and there are still no new comers. That is a very unusual thing in Aflon Digital Academy, Kuje - that's the name of our school.

Thinking about that i get dressed in my school uniform - a striped multicolored high waist skirt, a long sky blue long sleeved button up shirt and a red tie. I wear my black long socks and red cap which isn't a part of the school's uniform but is allowed since well, Muslims can't let their hair open. Some atleast.

I hear Ya Sa'eed shout, "Fati muna jiranki fah ke kadai kika rage. Me kike yi har yanzu {Fati you're the only one we're is waiting for. What are you doing till now}?" that makes me hurry up.

Ya Sa'eed - my only elder brother and the first of us four - is in Ss3 so he goes to school when he wishes. But whenever Ammi and Abba - our parents - are around, he'd be forced to go to school and today is one of the days. That's why he's trying to shout our two storey home down.

I give myself a once over in the mirror and then realize I didn't use gel but since Ya Sa'eed had made it his job to shout down the house early in the morning, I have to go without using the gel.

I pick up my Gucci bag and run down the stairs as fast as I my slim legs can carry me then collect mine and my sisters' money from Ammi since Aflon doesn't allow homemade food and because Abba never takes money with him when we were going to school in the morning - a bad habit that we've suffered the consequence of, but he can't seem to stop it.

It is a fifteen minutes drive from our home to the school. When we arrive at the school gate, i hop down from the car and get Amal and Afnan - my younger siblings respectively - from the car and then we get into the school with Ya Sa'eed mumbling incoherent nonsense to himself. I don't pay attention to him knowing that he is complaining about coming to school as usual.

I don't get how i won't want to come to school just because I'm in Ss3. But he claims that I won't get it until I'm in Ss3 too. But I believe otherwise.

Immediately I pass the crèche, I sight Halli. She is just sitting in front of one of the nursery classes together with Aana and Fiddo - some of our friends and classmates.

That doesn't look right. Halli is literally an everybody girl. So why does she look lonely and sad?

"Halli, sup {what's up}?" She sighs.

"Follow me to class." She says and that alone has me frowning. Now something is definitely wrong.

We politely excuse ourselves and go to our class upstairs after i exchange pleasantries with them. When we arrive at the front of the class i see Sophie, Halli's cousin in our class seated. I am surprised. It's not that I didn't know that she was coming to our school i am just surprised that she is in our class, Ss1 Science B!

Or maybe Halli brought her here before she'd go to her class. That can be the only reasonable explanation.

She was meant to be in Jss2 last year but since her dad works overseas, he demanded for her presence in Tokyo, Japan, where he works. She went there and ended up spending a whole year over there so that implies that she's still meant to be in Jss2.

We both know each other so when our eyes meet, she heaves a sigh of relief and smiles widely at me and waves. The poor thing was visibly nervous and is relieved to see me. I return the smile whole heartedly and wave back.

I then notice that she isn't paying attention to me anymore and that her eyes are trained on Halli. Her mood has changed back to the nervous one. She is eyeing Halli while Halli looks sad.

I quickly drag Halli out of the class and lead her to the kitchen which thankfully, is empty. 

"What's going on?" I inquire, attempting to raise a brow which I fail miserably at.

"Do you remember that early last year, Sophie left for Tokyo?" Halli asks fidgeting with her fingers and looking anywhere but me.

"Yeah, so what happened?"

"When she was in Tokyo we engaged in FaceTime because you know we are very close. She's like the sister I never had." I am getting impatient and more curious by the minute. And maybe I am a little jealous. I mean how can she say Sophie is her sister? Then what am I? Huh?!

"Okay... So what now happened?"

"Do you remember that Ashfat i told you i had a crush on? The one that lives in our area?"

"Yeah..." i trail off again. "But it looks like you are going off track here."

"Well, a day before Sophie left for Tokyo she came to bid me farewell and we went strolling. We met Ashfat on the way back home so he gave us a lift. And you know I'm not the type to enter the front seat with my crush driving so I entered the back seat and started admiring him through the mirror.

"I didn't know when or how it happened but he asked for both mine and Sophie's number and we gave him. When he dropped us he winked at me and left. I was very happy. When we got inside I told Sophie about how i met him at a birthday party, how we started talking and how i started crushing on him. I told her everything. I never knew she was the type that would decieve me the way she did." She was crying as she completes the last part. My eyes widen, trying to understand what she means by deceive.

"Deceive you kuma? What did she do?" I am now genuinely confused.

"When he called her she told him that she loved him and then she threatened to kill herself if he didn't agree to date her. He told me himself because he was thinking she has some mental problem or something. When i asked the truth from her she said yes, it is true. That i have always gotten what i want and that she's jealous of me but now that she has seen one thing I really love, she's going to take it from me."

"What the f*ck!" I say, my eyes wide as saucers. I can't bring myself to believe it but i know that Halli would never lie to me, ever.

"How dare she? And what did you do about it? And why are you just telling me?" I am very angry. Halli knows how much I hate her keeping things from me.

"It all happened yesterday fah, i was so heart broken i couldn't think straight". She breaks down completely making me angrier. That wee miniscule piece of shit! How dare she?

At this point I don't care about the fact that I'm using words Ammi has forbidden me from using. My best friend has been hurt! Sophie made Halima Audu Kalshingi cry! If I don't make her cry too then my name is ot Fatima Abba Sulayman!