24. Caught And Party

Halima's POV

I did not make an attempt to talk to Teemah and neither did she. She must think I'm too proud to reconcile with her. But I'm simply too busy to talk to her,  busy with my chores at home.

Sincerely, I'm starting to enjoy them. I'm getting the hang of it. But instead of cooking alone and making a mess of things, mummy shows me how I'm supposed to do it and Alhamdulillah everything's going well.

A sudden guilt envelopes me as I remember everything.

I hurriedly run down the stairs and enter the kitchen. It's 7pm and I don't know what to cook. I opt for one of the things I learned from the culinary school I attended.

Shawarma.

I know that isn't the best food to make for dinner but I have no choice, most of the ingredients are even ready.

Mummy has already shredded chicken for dambun kaza which she's going to make for daddy when he's coming back so I took some. There is salad in the fridge so I jyst need a few minutes to get it done.

I mix the filling. I place my fillings, roll my shawarma and grill it. When I'm done I call mummy down for dinner.

Mummy looka at the shawarma and snaps, "meye haka {what is this}? Is this what you expect me to eat? In the night fah! I understand that you can't prepare tuwo or any other food but why shawarma for crying out loud! I won't eat this, no thank you!"

Tears start to stream down my face. I've tried to please her, to understand why she's acting like this, why she's treating me like a maid, but I can't make out a reasonable answer.

"Haba Mummy. I don't know what I did to you. Everything I do these days seems to irritate and annoy you. I'm really trying my best but it doesn't seem like you appreciate me." I sob. Mummy walks deeper into the parlor. She sits on a couch and taps the space beside her which I fill after some seconds.

"I'll never do anything to hurt you. Kinsan Hajiya Hadiya koh?" I nod.

"You know how her daughters ended up right?" I nod, connecting the dots. She explains everything to me and I suddenly feel bad for the thoughts I had about her.

We make tuwon semo with miyan kuka. She asks me to get a book and pen and she explains numerous recipes and how they can be prepared through various ways.

Mummy has traveled to India for the launch of her latest Saari. She promised to bring me at least three.

We have finished our examinations and the ss3 are throwing a little party after school with the permission of the school. Some seniors will be in attendance.

It's for the ss3 students only, but they can come with a date so Ya Sa'eed has  invited me. I have accepted him but we're taking things slowly even though we have daddy's permission.

So I'm going as his date. We are just going to be together, no haram such as kissing, making out and all those other stuff.

I was passing by the back when I heard a short laugh that seemed undeniably familiar. I decided to check it out.

Now here I am walking in the direction I heard the laugh. My mouth falls in surprise, I'm flabbergasted to say the least.