Chapter 1

Hello! Thanks for checking out this story! First, just a short disclaimer: I do not own Newsies, the dialogue from the movie or anything of it. I only own a few of the scenes and Jo. Second, I apologize for incorrect grammar, I am trying to get the dialogue as close as I can to how they talk. This is my first story on Wattpad as well so random fact. Thanks again and enjoy!

I woke to the extremely unpleasant smell of cigar smoke just like every other morning of my life. I was still half asleep when I felt someone tugging at my pillow. I knew exactly who it was.

"Kelly, if ya don't let go of my pillow I ain't gonna hesitate to spit in ya face," I said, grogginess overtaking my voice.

"Oh, come on, Jo. We's been through this every day," Jack said. "Get up. We gotta get goin'."

"No,"

"Don't make me go get Race and his cigar. I know how much ya love the smell of the smoke," I heard the smirk in his voice.

I started getting up then. "I hate ya,"

He laughed. "No, yous don't. I knows ya love me. I'm the best brotha' in all of New York. Now move it,"

I got up, reluctantly, that was for sure. I was the only girl out of our little... dare I say, dysfunctional family. And they exactly how to push my buttons! I had been the first and only girl for nearly five years since I left home. There ain't any way I'm going back, either. They didn't love me. That was ultimately proved to me when they's never come looking for me.

Never once looked back. Jack found me on the streets, took me in as his little sister, and he's looked after me ever since. I's always gonna be more than grateful to him for that.

Ever since we've been selling partners 'cause he won't let me go anywhere by myself. All for my safety, I's got that, but it was still irritating.

I looked around at all the fellas once I got out of bed. Race was looking around his dresser, a look of aggravation on his face. He must've been looking for his cigar. The boy needs to stop smoking, he does. I brushed my brown hair out of my eyes, sighing.

"Sell the papes! Carry the banner!" I heard Kloppman shouting, waking the rest of the fellas up.

"That's my cigar!" I heard Race say.

"You'll steal anotha',"

"Hey, bummers, we got work to do," Kid Blink pulled the two boys apart. I rolled my eyes as I walked to get ready.

"Since when did you become me motha'?"

"Ah, stop your bawlin'!" I heard Crutchy.

"Who asked you?!"

I walked near running into one of the stalls so I could change in privacy. I couldn't exactly change in the open. I pulled on some of the guy's clothes they had loaned me. I didn't exactly enjoy wearing guys' clothes, but it was easier than selling the papes in a dress. I finally finished dressing and washed my face.

"Oi, Jo, can I ask you somethin'?" Crutchy asked.

"Go for it, Crutch," I pulled my hair back into a bun.

"When I walk, does it look like I'm fakin' it?"

I turned to him. "Who says you'se fakin'?"

"I don't know. It's just- There's so many fake crips on the street today, a real crip ain't got a chance. I gotta find me a new selling spot where they ain't used to seein' me,"

"It'll all be fine, Crutchy," I reassured him.

"Thanks, Jo."

"Try Bottle Alley or da harbor," Mush suggested.

"Try Central Park, it's guaranteed,"

Jack came on the other side of me, threatening to throw shaving cream at me. I dodged it and it landed on Mush.

"Try any banker, bum or barber,"

"They almost all knows how to read," I added.

"I smell money,"

"You smell foul," Crutchy gagged.

I ran out of there back to my bunk before anything else went down. I grabbed my hat and situated it on my hair and I was ready to go.

"Ain't it a fine life? Carryin' the banner through it all. A mighty fine life! Carryin' the banner tough and tall!"