Chapter 11

We all sat around in the restaurant waiting on Denton.

"Hey, uh, Jo, I wanted to ask ya somethin'," Spot said as he sat beside me.

"Go ahead."

The bell rang and Denton walked in.

"Neva' mind, I will later."

I nodded, getting up. "Thanks for bailin' us out," I said.

He smiled. "You're welcome, anytime."

I went and sat back down as everyone else greeted him and showed their gratefulness for getting bailed out.

"Why didn't the Sun print the story?" Davey asked.

"Because it never happened."

My jaw dropped. "Youse kiddin' us right?" I said.

"What'd ya mean it neva' happened? You were there!" Race said.

"You wrote it!" Blink exclaimed.

"We's all got the shiners to prove it!" I stood up.

"It's not in the papers, it never happened," Denton raised his voice over the commotion. "The owners decreed it not be in the papers, therefore... I came to tell you fellas.. and girl goodbye."

"What happened? Did you get fired or something?" Davey asked.

"No, I got reassigned back to my old job as the Sun's ace war correspondent. They want me to leave right away. The owner thinks I should only cover the really important stories. Wish me luck, fellas. At least half of what I wish for you,"

He turned to Davey. "They don't always fire you, David. I would be blackballed from every paper in the country," When Davey wouldn't look at him, he caught his arm and turned him around. "I'm a newspaperman. I have to have a paper to write for."

He pulled something out of his jacket. "This is the story I wrote about the rally. I want you to read it at least." He handed a pape to Davey but then shoved it into his hand because he wouldn't take it. Davey was outwardly showing what we all are were feeling.

Anger. Betrayed. Abandoned. In disbelief. Alone.

Denton paid for everything before he left that way we didn't have to. Without another word he opened the door and left.

Davey crumpled the pape in his hand, the angered look still on his face. My hand reached down below the table and found Spot's. I needed some reassurance right now, and he helped a little by squeezing my hand.

"We get Jack out of the Refuge tonight. And from now on, we trust no one but the newsies." Davey said.

We all agreed and left the restaurant.

"Hey, uh, I gotta go back to Brooklyn but I'll be back tonight," Spot whispered. "There's somethin' I wanna tell ya when I do."

I nodded and left to walk with Blink and Race.

"Ya comin' with us, right, Jo?" Blink asked.

I shook my head. "I don't think I's can handle it right now." my voice cracked at the end. Tears started to form in my eyes and the fellas could tell apparently. They both put their arms around me as we walked back to the Lodging House.

"I love youse guys."

"We love ya too, Jo,"

I sat on the rooftop, crying. I had been up here for a good while. It was the only place I could get some peace, quiet and alone time. And where the fellas wouldn't see me acting like a wimp.

Most of the fellas were already asleep to get extra rest. Davey, Blink, Race, Boots, Mush and Les had left earlier to break Jack out of the Refuge. I was gonna try, but I still couldn't bear to go. I just couldn't.

I held in my hand Jack's little book that told about Santa Fe. The place where he wanted to go so desperately. I was still partly undecided.

I sniffed. Then the song he was so fond of came to mind.

"Santa Fe, my old friend. I can't spend my whole life hidin'. You're the only light that's guidin' me today. Will you keep a candle burnin'? Will ya help me find my way? You're my chance to break free and who knows when my next one'll be. Santa Fe. Wait for me..."

I broke down.

I felt a hand on my shoulder. I looked up, seeing Spot. "Is there somethin' ya have that notifies ya when I get upset or somethin'?"

He chuckled. "Good ol' Brooklyn intuition I's guess." He sat beside me.

"Ya said ya wanted to tell me somethin'?" I said, trying to change the subject.

"Uh, yeah, beauty. I's-"

"Would ya stop callin' me that?! I's done tol' ya I don't like ya callin' me that!" I looked at him sternly.

"Well, I can't help callin' the girl I care for 'beauty', because that's exactly what ya are, inside and out!" He stood up.

It felt like someone had knocked me back. Being shocked was an understatement.

"I just said that out loud, didn't I?" he said.

"Ya... ya like me?" I asked, breathless.

He dropped his head, seeming embarrassed. "I have since I first met ya," he sighed. "I's the king of Brooklyn, I's supposed to be tough, but I can't help that I's fallin' for da beautiful girl from 'Hatten."

I stood up and jumped to hug him. "Why didn't ya say somethin' sooner?"

"Ya feel the same?" he sounded shocked.

"Yes. I's fallin' for the king of Brooklyn." I chuckled as I copied him.

He pulled back and smiled. "So you'll be my girl?"

I nodded, smiling wide. He pulled me close and hugged me.

For a few minutes, I had forgotten all the bad that had happened earlier that day.

A/N: Thanks for reading, commenting, and voting! I sincerely appreciate it!